Honored Contributor

Re: Homes that Were Churches

They usually have a large open spaces making them lacking in the coziness I'd look for in a home.  They have the ambience of a barn.  They would also be difficult and expensive to heat and cool.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My favorite is the second photo, so beautiful.

Thanks for posting something different and very interesting @wilma.

Honored Contributor

We have a church in my town that was converted into a restaurant, bar and after hours club.

No business has ever been successful in it.  It's like it doesn't want to be anything but a church.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@wilma 

I totally agree with you.  I'm never a fan of stained glass windows, religious or not. I like windows I can see out of.  I just prefer in general a more modest home, simple, cheery, casual ..  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I like the second and the fourth photos.

I'm becoming used to things being converted into homes, watching 'Escape To The Country' on DABL TV.  England and surrounding areas.

Most are converted barns, and also a few old churches.

They sure do a good job of refurbishing old buildings, including barns. 

The English countryside and surrounding areas are beautiful.  Wish I would have visited there, in addition to beautiful London, which I enjoyed.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen some lovely and well done property transitions from church to home, including those pictued. Personally, I think I would always find it a bit awkward.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@sceniccoast   I'm with you on this one.  Am more into modest & most of all comfortable & cozy.  I just like a HOME!

Honored Contributor

Have always found them interesting architecturally, but would not be comfortable living there.  When ceilings are THAT vaulted, you end up feeling like a little ant at the bottom of a well-- not my favorite mode in everyday life!  And they'd be echo-ey.

There is an established process for de-consecrating a church to be put to secular use, but even so, I'm too much in awe of the original purpose to want it to be my house...

Esteemed Contributor

I like them.  I would have to remove anything morbid.  Love the spiral staircase.

Honored Contributor

The first picture looks good as far as it use to be a church.  I don't like those dining room chairs.  The other pictures look too much like a church especially that dark wood and all the stain glass -- I would not live in that.

kindness is strength