Honored Contributor

In a car that old, it could be rotting gaskets, a dead animal stuck in the undercarriage......lots of things.   

Perhaps @hckynut  has an idea.   He is a car buff!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Another thing that absorbs odors is charcoal. You can find a variety of various little bags of charcoal on Amazon.

I got a charcoal thingy on there a couple of years ago....mine is actually a plastic container that I put in the sun for a few hours every couple of months to reactivate the charcoal. It's the only thing that works in a freezer that was used for a few years only for freezing and storing crabs. (when my husband was alive he went crabbing every summer).

Cleaned it out with lemon, with vinegar, with clorox.....nothing worked till the charcoal.  I still keep using it in there even though he's been gone for a few years, otherwise that smell comes back in a few days, it's vague but I think I still smell it after about 4 or 5 days. Could be in my head.

So I'd do charcoal and the damp rid, that combo should work. Then air it out in the sunshine and fresh air.

Regular Contributor

Don't mean to make light of your situation...but all I could think of was that old Seinfeld episode. I even think it was the titled "The Smelly Car"....

Valued Contributor

Yep,,

It was the BO... lol///

Respected Contributor

Re: Help with Musty Smell

[ Edited ]

I would try freshly ground coffee, placed in bowls and place around the area and close the car. Leave for 24 hours and then repeat with freshly ground coffee.

Honored Contributor

OdoBan.  It kills molds, mildew and odors.  Dries clear.  

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Another thing that absorbs odors is charcoal. You can find a variety of various little bags of charcoal on Amazon.

I got a charcoal thingy on there a couple of years ago....mine is actually a plastic container that I put in the sun for a few hours every couple of months to reactivate the charcoal. It's the only thing that works in a freezer that was used for a few years only for freezing and storing crabs. (when my husband was alive he went crabbing every summer).

Cleaned it out with lemon, with vinegar, with clorox.....nothing worked till the charcoal.  I still keep using it in there even though he's been gone for a few years, otherwise that smell comes back in a few days, it's vague but I think I still smell it after about 4 or 5 days. Could be in my head.

So I'd do charcoal and the damp rid, that combo should work. Then air it out in the sunshine and fresh air.

I agree with @shaggygirl 

Charcoal works and it is relatively inexpensive!

Esteemed Contributor

I use to put some containers of baking soda around the cabin. Worked pretty good.

Respected Contributor

Once we had a problem in the weekend house with water from an overhead pipe in the ceiling ( DH had left something open on the second floor and forgot to close the pipe in the basement ).  

We went out for the afternoon and I went to get something in the basement and my first step onto the carpeting was a very deep and wet one.

He  picked up the carpets and hung them over sawhorses in the garage to drain and dry out.  He coated them with a product called ZEP and let them totally dry for a couple weeks.  No smell and the basement room smells clean.

He got the product from Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Hope you never have to go through this problem !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@spud188   Either burn or buy a water essential oils machine.  Pick up some different essential oils you like.  Your home will smell wonderful.

kindness is strength