Respected Contributor

Is This A New Trend In Decorating?

I've been out and about looking for new decorating items for my home.  It seems as though a lot of the places are selling what I call the farm look, rustic, wrought iron, wood, etc.  The other trend seems to be the beach theme with seahorses, shells, etc. 

Am I out of the decorating loop?  I really don't want either of these for my home.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is This A New Trend In Decorating?

Rustic/farmhouse has been popular the last few years.  I always see the beach theme.

A little of those looks go a long way.  I don't decorate by "theme." 

I don't know what you're searching for, but there are so many styles available besides beach and farmhouse. 

Respected Contributor

@Winkk   These two themes, or variations thereof, have been around for several years.  They are not my cup of tea, especially the "farm" vibe.

Take your time and keep looking, picking up things little by little and you will probably find things more suited to your individual style.  Thrift and consignment shops might yield some great items for you.  E-bay and Etsy are also good sources.

Good luck with your search and stick to your style preferences.

Best,

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  I've had the same items in my house for quite some time and I still like them.  I just wanted to update some of the smaller decorating items.  My house is basically classic in style so I'll have to shop around and just look for individual items.

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

I  don't like the look of much of anything anymore. New christmas colors, new decor color in greys, purple hair,  blue nail polish, shoes that look like stacked  wood. I could go on but I'm just showing my age. That's what I tell myself.

Honored Contributor

I pick and choose for my own decor, first because I don't want to discard what I currently own and like, and even more because I think some kinds of decor work better in one area of the country than in others.

Even though I live near the water, I'm not on a shoreline where I might use more of the shore decor.  I do have some on my terrace in Florida, but none inside the house.  

I really like the farm treatments the Gaines present on HGTV-  I just wouldn't use it in my current home.  I might if I had another 500-1000 square feet of space in a different area, but that's not happening as far as I know.

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I've been out and about looking for new decorating items for my home.  It seems as though a lot of the places are selling what I call the farm look, rustic, wrought iron, wood, etc.  The other trend seems to be the beach theme with seahorses, shells, etc. 

Am I out of the decorating loop?  I really don't want either of these for my home.

I don't blame you. They've both been overdone to the point of being trite.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Nothing new in those two styles, as they have been around for several years at least, but I agree that it seems like 'they' get a couple of styles and that is all you see and can find. I get so tired of looking for something traditional and it just seems rare to find it. 

I'm always about 10 years behind the 'style' of anything I guess. I just start liking something in home decor or fashion about the time it is all but gone! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

HI @Winkk "farmhouse", "industrial", "modern" are the current looks.  I think online is the best place to shop, but if you are looking for something not in these styles, you may want to go local.  Joss & Main, Wayfair, West Elm, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Rejuvenation are websites I like.  If you see something you want to buy, check Amazon before you purchase, you may find the item for less.  Be creative and try several search terms.  I don't like the shopping experience of the Amazon website, but they have a lot of great prices.  Not always the best price.

Honored Contributor

Have to tell you, my family room is done in "Farmhouse" but I didn't know it until someone who does A LOT of posting on Pinterest told me.

I guess if you like wrought iron, wood, black and red, plaid and white/off white furnishings, you're into the Farmhouse look. Who knew? My family room looks this way because I have antiques, we love hand forged iron pieces, white works with the brick fireplace and hardwood floors (slipcovers) and barn red leather items I already had. Plaid means Farmhouse? Alrighty then.