Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Bought wrong size table/ chairs decorating help

Hi    @CelticCrafter 

I have done this a successfully several times.

There a few tips to assure it works and is stable:

Useing glass, a piece of glass that size 1/4 to 1/2 thick will not snap, and will be stable.

Be sensible about the amount of tabletop area you try to add.  Four or five inches all the way beyond the table edge is all I would attempt, likely four.

Go to a glass store to purchase.  They have the machinery to sand the edges so they are nice and smooth.  Also they can affix clear discs to the glass which are non slip.  They are about 1/8 inch thick, the size of a quarter, are placed on the glass so they touch the table top about one inch inside the perimeter, and will prevent any sliding.  Think it would take only 3 or 4 on this small table.  These discs will not hurt the wood, metal, or marble.  Wish I knew what they are called.

I have never had one that was not sturdy, or that slid around.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life

How long have you had the table?   For me, it takes a while to visually adjust to new items inside or outside my home.

While the table size may be a tad small, I think it is fine.  I do agree with others the chairs'size seem to over take the table.  I think by just even removing one chair (the one that's back faces the kitchen) would make a difference.  It you could remove two chairs it would be even better.

You area appears to have a simple, clean style which I very much like.  I hesitate to make suggestions for added decor because I am not good at it.  But I probably would consider adding another picture or other decorative piece on the wall with the existing picture.  Perhaps lower the existing picture and placing an all season or non conventional style wreath above the picture.

Honored Contributor

I like what I see, because it’s a breakfast nook.   I would add a bright tablecloth and enjoy it.   

Even tho my dining room table is large, the four of us only take our filled plates and drinking glass to the table when we eat.   

Super Contributor

I got the table/ chairs last week. I have a large dining room table that rarely gets used. Usually only three people are eating together.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life I really don't think the table looks too small. But I do think those chairs are too large for the table/area. And, you are basically looking at an empty room. Once you put a piece of furniture on that back wall and either swap out the chairs or get cushions for them, hang up some pictures it will take on a whole new look.

Edited: Sorry, just took another look at the picture and see there is something hanging on the wall. Is that a picture or mirror? It is quite dark.

Esteemed Contributor

@Beautiful life - The other thing that might be throwing you off is that everything appears beige in the picture - walls, table, chairs. You might need to start adding pops of color.

BTW, I just measured my round table and is 48'' however, my chairs are smaller than what you have.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe. that´s what I was thinking of. I call them suction cups. We have a glass table in the kitchen and one day I tried to turn over the top to clean it. and it wouldn´t move. It was only then that I found out about the suction cups. It´s not easy releasing them.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Sooner   OMG!  Are you serious?  Wallpaper?  LOL

@Katcat1   You see it all the time in decorating mazagines such as Architectural Digest and Veranda and House Beautiful and Traditional Home.

It's a high-end decorator look that has been popular for generations, and will be popular for generations more.  It is a very accepted decorating technique.  Especially when you have a pattern that gives some depth to a wall and makes a visual impact leading your eye to take in the room not just the furniture or a fabric or piece of art. 

No, it isn't HGTV, but wallpaper, used well, has never gone out of fashion.  It's not common as in the 1980's and not used eveywhere by everyone.  But it isn't a trend, and it isn't a no no when well done.

To me, the room above is a perfect place for a great pattern!

@Katcat1   Be a little more open minded, take a look at some of the better decorating magazines or books, and see how beautiful it can be!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's a pretty table - and 45" isn't really that small. I agree with some of the others that it's the chairs that look a bit large. If your daily routine would work with 2 or 3 chairs, that's what I would use. I'm not big on chair cushions, but that's your decision.

What I really see is too much of the same color - walls and table. Could you paint that breakfast room a shade or two darker, or even a coordinating color? A bright and colorful framed printed (large) might brighten up the wall where the chalkboard is hanging.

I'm not big on tablecloths either....just my preference. The marble on your table is too pretty to cover. I'd probably have some colorful placemats instead - not in shades of brown or beige though - something brighter like teal or coral, or in a shade to match a framed print on the wall. Add a medium height to taller plant in a pretty ceramic pot.

You have a beautiful room....it just needs a bit more color IMO. I wouldn't get rid of the table/chairs. For everyday use it makes sense, and that marble top is so pretty. If you don't have 4 people eating at meals, why keep all 4 chairs sitting around the table! Best of luck to you!