Super Contributor

Re: Help! Bought wrong size table/ chairs decorating help

I feel it looks out of proportion. It’s a marble table
I wish the table was a little larger.
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's beautiful.

A tall floor plant (tropical) might change the view to your liking.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

The chairs look a little big for the table. Can you get by with just 2 or 3 chairs and store the extrs(s) for if/when needed? I think you will like the proportions better and will spend zero dollars.

Honored Contributor

I think putting a rug underneath the table will help it look bigger. 

Maybe the chairs are too big for the table.  If changing them out is not an option, adding cushions  and some other accent pieces in the room will help fill it out a little. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, the chair seats are about half the size of the table top, so all together it looks off scale.

Since you can't return the table, can you place it somewhere in a tv room/den/family room?  Use if for informal eating with just you and DH (and kids).

Or make a table seating area in the living room, if space allows?  

You don't have to think *eating* with the table, can be used for board games, playing cards.

Use it in another area until you find the table you really need.

Super Contributor

I can put cushions on the chair. My dogs would pee on the rugs. I can add tropical plants. Not sure about putting glass on top that might work but don’t want to scratch the marble. Good ideas! Thank you
Please anymore suggestions would be great!
Honored Contributor

I don't know how  much room you have between the chair and the wall with what looks like the chalk board. 

Maybe a sideboard or a buffet table - something on the taller side might help.

Honored Contributor

I'd try to make the chairs appear smaller rather than make the table look larger. Maybe some seat cushions that are a tad smaller than the wooden seats. A tall plant would be nice too. All in all, I think you have a nice sturdy dining set.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life  Return it.  Call and explain to the store you bought it from that this is way too small and looks bad.  You want to return for something else.  I could not live with it because the chairs swallow the table.  Take the dimensions of the table and then add inches to it so you know what size you need.  Good luck.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

You can have a glass or plexiglass top cut that is about 8 to 10 inches larger then the current table top. That will give you 4 or 5 inches more all around.

Get heavy 1/4 to 1/2 inch glass and it will be quite stable.  Make sure to have the edges sanded.  I would use glass.

No reason this would this damage the existing tabletop.

I would also give the chairs and table more more presence by painting them an accent color pulled from elsewhere in the home.

You’ve gotten many suggestions here, hope you will be able encorporate.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras