Super Contributor

Has anyone had a problem with mold?

I'm having my bathroom redone and when the sheetrock was removed, there was a small amount of mold on the inside.  It's an older house and seems like everytime we start to do something there's an issue to face.

Called the home owners insurance and they are sending someone out to look at it.  Thank God I am covered.

Has anyone faced this problem?  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a problem with mold?

Mold not good!   You have leaking water coming in from somewhere - a pipe, ceiling/roof or around your tub/shower area.  Black mold is very dangerous - can affect your lungs = possible death.

Best to tear out more sheetrock and find the source of the water and dampness once and for all.  Older houses may have cracked pipes or roof/outer wall leaks.  Insurance or not, you must find the source.  Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

Good friends of ours just purchased a house that isn't very old.  Before they moved in they decided to paint everything and put in all new carpets.  I don't know all the details but at some point while removing the carpet, mold was found.  They did whatever they were told to "clean it up and make it right" but looking back I don't think they ever investiageted why there was mold and where it came from.  Fast forward a few months, he was working in the bathroom on the tile.  He ended up putting a screwdriver thru the tile, don't know how that happened.  Ended up finding more mold and source of mold.  He's taking care of it himself and not involving insurance company. 

Respected Contributor

Mold is common in old houses. They aren't as sealed as new houses, so moisture can get in. If you have a small amount, then you are very lucky.

We removed my grandmother's old cast ion tub and tiled shower surround from the 60s. YUCK is all I can say. We replaced the 2x4s and sub flooring before redoing the bath with a step in shower, moving the toilet, installing a handicap toilet and laying new floors and repainting. We also found where squires had stored their pecans for the past half century and cockroaches. The house is a very old southern share cropper's farm house that was added onto back in the day when kitchens weren't attached and bathrooms were well away from the house. it was the 60s when the bathroom got moved inside from the back porch. There were 6 adults (my grandma/grandpa and both of their sets of parents) and 4 kids, so the house has had many different configurations over the years and the plumbing is run in a variety of ways.
Esteemed Contributor

Just once.

The bathtub drain had cracked and bathwater began to pool behind a wall. Yuk............ewww, and yuk. Mold began to grow so they opened the wall behind the tub, replaced the drain pipe, replaced some of the wood studs in the wall and some drywall.

Depending on how much damage their is it might be cheaper to hire someone rather than file a claim.

Honored Contributor

We just moved out of the house we had built 18 years ago. I'm so glad I no longer have to deal with fighting the mold in our master bathroom! We, through the years, replaced the entire shower enclosure and overhead fan. That never helped. I always told my dh that the mold was just dying to make its home there. I always wondered if any of the other houses in our sub had the same problem since we were all built by the same builder 18 years ago. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

Mold is bad news, my sister was first exposed in Aruba then starting having lung problems, getting worse and worse, turned out her home had alot of mold also, she was too sick by then, and a few years later after alot of misery, hospitals etc she died at 50, she developed emphysema and lung

cancer at end

New Contributor

The house we are staying in from the time we I moved to Wayne, NJ initially had mold. It wasn't much but was there. Mold, however, is very dangerous as I had seen my friend die due to some infections caused due to mold. Identifying the source of the mold is very important. The problem with old houses are that they are not properly sealed. Also, the plumbing fitiings must be good. In our house, the mold was being caused due to water leakages through pipes hence we immediately called in our plumber wayne nj and got all the plumbing works properly done. We keep the plumbings regularly maintained since our house is really old and the pipes often starts leaking. I am very scared of molds!

Respected Contributor

Black mold should be investigated by a professional and then proper procedures should be implemented.

Respected Contributor

Black mold is very dangerous and should be investigated by a professional, then proper safety eradication procedures should be implemented.