Honored Contributor

My first husband insisted I make all my clothes because "I knew how"..........yeah sure........he was well off and in one of those money-hungry professions.    Got rid of him.....AND the sewing machine..................       (Yeah, I have a new machine.....but it is reserved for shortening pants.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Never hear of the store. 

But mending a seam or sewing on a button are the extent of my sewing skills!

I am sorry that one more choice is gone, though. I hate that so many things are either cheapened to the point we don't want them, or are gone all together.

Competition makes for better quality, prices and service.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

They remodeled our Walmart about ten years ago and took out all of the fabrics. They're remodeling it again now and putting them back in. They don't have a huge selection, but for me that's better. Too many options drive me a bit crazy.

@gardenman  That's what they did at the local Walmart except they didn't remodel, they just rearranged.  The fabric department is poor; the thread rack is usually almost empty and the just have cotton quilting and seasonal fabrics.

I have a huge stash of fabric from yesteryear that I'll probably never use.

There used to be a row of shelves dividing the front and back of our local store and they''ve removed those shelves and are replacing all of the flooring with new floor tiles. They've updated the electronics section and added a fabric section. A lot of stuff is being shuffled to new locations. They're making some pretty big changes locally. The fabric selection isn't huge, but it's better than none. I mostly shop for upholstery fabric and they've got a decent selection of that.

I've got an antique rocker that needs to be recovered. My grandfather had it done professionally and for some reason the pro used wood shavings/sawdust to stuff the seat of the chair back when he did it. It's not an ideal way to upholster a chair. Every time you move the chair a pile of wood shavings/sawdust pours out. I'm looking to update it to springs and foam instead of sawdust/wood shavings. Some antique chairs were originally stuffed with sawdust, and maybe the original reupholsterer just kept what was there, but I'm tired of dealing with it. It's not very comfy, it's messy as heck, and I can do better. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

This is hard to believe but I just read Hancock Fabrics has declared bankruptcy and is closing all its stores.  This place is a mainstay to sewers.  It's going to really limit the availability of fabrics and supplies in many areas.  Now we'll only have Joann which I never liked because their stores are too cluttered and junky.  It's going to be hard to be a seamstress.

That is funny because where I live it is the exact opposite. Every Hancocks that I've been in was old,  shoddy looking, dirty, and cluttered.  The JoAnns are bright and clean.  I like the fabric selection (and coupon sales) at a local Hobby Lobby. They have a lot of variety of fabrics and you can use the 40% off coupon that they have to cover the entire cost of one fabric item (not jsut one yard for example).  I have even used it on a full bolt of fabric.  There is also a wholesale fabric place near me.  Although most of their fabric is upholstry type fabrics they have some beautiful lace and other fabrics too.  

Our Hancock Fabrics closed about 5 yrs ago and I wasn't surprised. I could find some unique fabric there, but the store wasn't clean or organized. We only have JoAnn's and it seems more geared to crafts than sewing....

Honored Contributor

I was a professional seamstress from long agoSmiley Happy and I used to shop a Hancock. They were good way back then. I'm not surprized they are closing. In today's world it costs more to sew a garment than it is to simply buy one and get it altered. Whenever I bought clothes I used to always say: "You can't even buy fabric and make it for that price". It's still sad though to hear of another store chain closing. 

Honored Contributor

The Joanns fabrics near my home seems to be much more geared to crafts. There is not a large variety of fabrics - actually mostly cotton quilting fabric.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hancock Fabric Closing

[ Edited ]

Found this story from a Texas newspaper, dated 5 days ago, on the internet:

<<Great American Group bought Hancock Fabrics in April. Horvath said an exact date for the closings is not known, but the middle of July is the target for shutting down the about 125 remaining stores.>>

As far as I know, our nearest Hancock store closed several years ago.  I did business there once.  Around here, Calico Corners is the go-to place for fabrics, reupholstery services, drapes, custom bedding and furniture that will be covered with their fabric.  Have done LOTS of business with CC, as I'm a serial reupholstery customer for  certain furniture pieces that I especially value.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman  About a year ago I bought new dining room chairs that came with boring, generic upholstery.  As is usual when I get something new for the house, I immediately set about "personalizing" it.  I found several yards of the perfect fabric from two vendors on eBay and am re-covering the seats with a sort of Southwest fabric in the perfect colors.

Didn't they used to stuff upholstered furniture with horse hair?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gardenman  About a year ago I bought new dining room chairs that came with boring, generic upholstery.  As is usual when I get something new for the house, I immediately set about "personalizing" it.  I found several yards of the perfect fabric from two vendors on eBay and am re-covering the seats with a sort of Southwest fabric in the perfect colors.

Didn't they used to stuff upholstered furniture with horse hair?

Yeah, they used horse hair, wood shavings, sawdust, and whatever else they had lying around. The guy who did this chair used sawdust and wood shavings. It's been a pain to deal with. Every time you move the chair there's a fresh pile of sawdust and shavings to clean up. I'm hoping to redo it before Christmas.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I am getting ready to recover my loveseat and a couple other pieces.

I found a local upholsterer who recommended a place called warehousefabricsinc.

Ordered several samples on Friday and received them in the mail today!

Really impressed with the speed and the prices!

The fabric is really nice and I am going to select some to get my work done.

If you need fabric, check it out. I went to Calico Corners and was very disappointed in the selection and the prices.