Honored Contributor

Well, I've got my cooking under control for tomorrow, since my son has agreed to do the cheddar biscuits.  Wanted to post this before getting ready for early Christmas Eve services, my favorite part of the holiday. 

On a personal note, I know holidays aren't easy for many.  Our own family has had a very tough year, with some uncertainties ahead, and like many others, sadness is threaded through the holiday for us.  But we will extract from this cherished holiday what we can-- and I want to wish my fellow house lovers the best Hanukkah and Christmas possible...

The "Hooked on Houses" section on cottages is just the best.  Recently she posted on a very special restored cottage in Savannah, that is on the National Register of Historic Places, and is offered as a vacation rental.

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-Lucky-Vacation-Rentals.jpg

I do rather wish it were not a rental, but owned privately, because of the very special nature of this house.  It was built 200 years ago by John Ballon, a free man of color.  What wonderful work he did.  Think of the history of this house!

Freemans-Cottage-1820-National-Register-Historic-Places.jpg

This warm, mellow wood has been there for 200 years!

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-6.jpg

Of course, due to the current "hospitality" nature of the dwelling, they've selected sturdy, rather utilitarian upholstered pieces for seating.  I'd love to get my hands on this room.

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-7.jpg

You can just imagine how proud freed man John Ballon must have been of his snug cottage in the heart of historic downtown Savannah.

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-30.jpg

Dining here would be a dream.

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-11.jpg

A hearth in the kitchen has always been a dream of mine...

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-8.jpg

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-5.jpg

Think of all the footsteps that have echoed on that sturdy wooden staircase.

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-4.jpg

Romantic bedroom under the eaves, sigh.  Those old original beams were all numbered so they could go right into place.

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-19.jpg

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-17.jpg

Lovely little cottage garden completes the idyll!

Freemans-Cottage-Savannah-GA-fenced-backyard.jpg

John Ballon was one of about 500 free people of color in the city at the time, many of whom were here after the Haitian slave revolt.  Later in the 19th century the cottage was occupied by an Irishwoman named Catherine Sullivan, who operated a tiny general store next door.  The cottage deteriorated over time till in the 1960's it was offered for sale for only $10!

Thank goodness this precious, meaningful piece of our history has been salvaged for many generations to appreciate.

Honored Contributor

Re: HISTORIC SAVANNAH COTTAGE

@Oznell  Thanks for posting this.  Savannah is a charming city.

AND, thank you for your many insightful and thoughtful remarks on various movies.  I look forward to reading more of them in 2020!!

Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and peaceful new year to you and your family!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I live in Savannah and know this cottage well, it's very popular with tourist and citizens alike!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell Thank you thank you for sharing this! What a tribute to the man who built it! It is absolutely charming! I adore the soft colors used throughout.

It's just heartwarming, both the cottage and the story of the gentleman who created it, if that makes any sense.

An absolute treasure! Heart Heart

Esteemed Contributor

So charming. Love Savannah. Merry Christmas @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

I love this @Oznell .  I love both the cottage and the story.  I, too, kind of wish it wasn't a rental.  On the other hand, I would love to stay there.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all of your posts and know that we truly appreciate all of them. You truly have a gift. 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family. 

Honored Contributor

What an absolutely beautiful appealing cottage!  I love all the wood and the cottage is warm and inviting.  I would love to spend time in such a peaceful environment!

Yes, Oznell, the holiday season while happy and festive also can be sad for many who have lost loved ones or had difficulties.  I find myself thinking of all the years I spent with family, so many now gone.  However, watching Christmas classics and listening to carols sung by great singers makes me happy and I am glad for it all!

May you and yours find peace and happiness in whatever you do this season.  Thanks for all the movie recommendations and descriptions, they make these forums an enjoyment for so many of us!

Esteemed Contributor

What a wonderful cottage! Mr. Ballon must have been so proud of his accomplishment and the beautiful work he did on this gem. And thank you Oznell for all of the homes, as well as their history that you share with us. I enjoy them all! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Valued Contributor

What a charming cottage - glad someone rescued it.

I always enjoy your posts kind @Oznell . May God's blessings be with you and your family this coming year.