Esteemed Contributor

I like the plates and tassels.........that's all.

Honored Contributor

It is not a style I would choose for my home..wallpaper and abundant florals are not for me.

Super Contributor

There is something missing or lacking in all these pictures, for me. Cohesiveness?  Trying but not succeeding?  I guess this style is like my critique— Something missing and I can’t quite put my finger on it.  I guess that style is a big sorry, but no from me.

Esteemed Contributor

I like it very much.

Honored Contributor

Great discussion, @Desert Lily .  For me, the style has (at least what I have seen of it in maybe the last year or so) seemed to be a "re-packaging" of a rather frilly version of straight traditional style.

As one who prefers the "leaner" end of traditional, and traditional that is somewhat eclectic-- sometimes (not always) "grandmillenial" seems like a way of making that more palatable for young people not steeped in the original 'greats' of interior design.   The reliance on things like elaborate or ditsy wallpapers, fringe, etc., an almost 'kandy-kolored' view of the past, can be a little too froo-froo for me.

I love it when people here bring up different decorating styles, and their reactions, good thread! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Grandmillennial Style

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I'd need to see more of it but I'd pretty much prefer anything to midcentury modern, which was ugly then and is still ugly now...

@stevieb 

I have been 'studying' the Grandmillenial decor versus the decor of 1980s mixed with traditional versus what they are selling now in the marketplace which is supposed to be Scandanavian (think the exorbitant Restoration Hardware) and then there is Japandi (a mix of Scandi and Japanese) plus some of the Studio McGee (a mix of Scandinavian and midcentury modern). 

I prefer Grandma's stuff (I am probably that grandma you are talking about).  I had lots of Chippendale, Queen Anne, passementerie, Laura Ashley, wing back chairs for the public area and slipper chairs and fainting sofas for the bedrooms which were furnished with rice carved poster beds in rich cherry and mahogany, ottomans upholstered in damasks, flamestitch and Ikat, Shumacher and Wayfair papers with Persian and Oriental rugs (gifts of my Dad to my mother, c. 1950s).  My kitchen may have boasted rich oak cabinets stained with a dark walnut color and the wallpaper may have been a tiny little French looking floral, candles abound and sconces on every wall.  

It was in the 1990s when I visited abroad that I changed all my decor to British colonial but never abandoned all my "good stuff."  I rent a house for storing furniture that my attic and garage are unable to accommodate.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  You're fortunate, both to be able to do that and to have accumulated so many lovely items... No interest whatsoever it modern, Scandinavian, or Studio McGee and certainly not Japanese... I may not be quite all in on what Grandma used to have, but better Grandma's aesthetic than any of the above!!!

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Nonametoday  You're fortunate, both to be able to do that and to have accumulated so many lovely items... No interest whatsoever it modern, Scandinavian, or Studio McGee and certainly not Japanese... I may not be quite all in on what Grandma used to have, but better Grandma's aesthetic than any of the above!!!

Woman Very Happy

@stevieb 

I'm old and a lot of good stuff came from my mother and grandmother but I always tried to buy good stuff even if I had to buy one piece at a time, one for my anniversary, one for my birthday, and one for his birthday (that's a good way to get him to relent by promising if he will buy that bed, you will get his favorite mattress for it).  Another is if you get that LazBoy, I get that Thomasville chair.  LOL.

Honored Contributor

LOVE the first picture!  I love my shower, however!!!

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I like the first photo, bathroom.