Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 62,808
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Grandmillennial Style

[ Edited ]

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I welcome any style that celebrates using good quality furnishings from the past rather than using resources to create short term particle board furniture.  I hate that good quality items are being tossed into landfills simply because they don't match some conceived notion of today's style.

 

 


Agree. Nothing wrong with 'brown' wood furniture and if you don't like it brown then paint it, but the allure of furniture you have to put together yourself and then throw away five years from now escapes me. A piece or two is fine for a first home or if it's what one can afford, but making an active choice to ignore quality pieces in favor of that stuff is, for me, a head shaker.


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,679
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

@Sooner wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I love wallpaper like the blue print; I like the dishes.  I had tassles like that on several things in the last home.

 

I don't know why people say "afraid of color."  Isn't that pretty judgmental?  I mean really, afraid?

 

How about saying some people don't like a lot of color.   Some people's taste doesn't run toward a lot of color.  Things like that.

 

I do not fear color.  I don't like a lot of it.  To me, cool, calm and restful is what I like in my home.  I like cleaner lines, softer surroundings, more sophisticated look, and less clutter.  And to my eye, a lot of color is either cluttered looking, or in small bright doses sort of jarring in a house.

 

So there I've said it.  I sort of resent "fearing color".  I could mix color in great ways, and have done in small bathrooms, and for a lot of friends.  But I don't want to live with it. 


@Sooner   I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say when I used the words "afraid of color".  With so many decorators going for neutrals, Erin seems willing (as a designer) to be a little different and not follow any specific trend and not care so much about her reputation as a designer. I find that very refreshing.  She is not afraid (concerned) about what every one else thinks about her flair for color. She is that way even in her choice of clothing.  I truely admire that in a person.  I hope this explains what I was trying to say.   


@jubilant Oh I wasn't you specifically, and my fault that you took it that way--I apologize Woman Embarassed.

 

 I have just come to find that term in general use--and you see it all the time here--offensive. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you are afraid of it.

 

The general phrase actually suggests that one is timid, boring, lackluster, fearful, etc. etc.  I think it is something suggesting how someone is rather than a simple like or dislike.

 

I think it's a phrase that should go by the wayside--and so maybe people will think before they accuse someone of being "afraid."  Which is very different than "not fond of".


@Sooner   I never thought of it that way. I like so many rooms that I see. Even the ones that aren't my style there is usually one or two things I like about it.  I tend, in my own home, to work around 3 colors and I know that's just me. I never thought in a million years that that phrase would be taken that way.  It was just my way of saying, I admire the fact she doesn't mind going against the grain and the thought never entered my mind that someone would be offended by it.  I truely admire lot's of peoples taste here...modern, color or no color, old....whatever!  I  love seeing a variety of  rooms and never intend to run other peoples tastes down. I disagree with you about the meaning behind the statement but different strokes for different folks!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,309
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I welcome any style that celebrates using good quality furnishings from the past rather than using resources to create short term particle board furniture.  I hate that good quality items are being tossed into landfills simply because they don't match some conceived notion of today's style.

 

 


@Marsha2003 

But it helps China's economy and Wall Street.  Man Frustrated

Honored Contributor
Posts: 26,312
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@jubilant Well, the implication that someone is fearful or timid isn't a good one.  I am trying to be more sensitive to phrases that were used that shouldn't be used any more because they might be offensive.

 

And when you get to the heart of it "afraid of" isn't a good thing to say about someone if phrases like "afraid of her shadow" and some others I can think of.  Just trying to be thoughtful.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,205
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

No, not for me!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 872
Registered: ‎12-13-2020

@Desert Lily  I love the couch . So elegant. The dishes are pretty too. I can appreciate many older and fine pieces of furniture that my grandma had. Oh, to have them now. *sigh*

 

I really dislike that so much furniture that is manufactured nowaday is pure junk. But, having said that, I know there is a need for some of it. For example college students setting up an apartment near campus. Or newly weds on a tight budget. I get it. I guess that I just mourn the passage of style, elegance and great craftsmanship.

 

Thanks for posting. Smiley Happy