Respected Contributor

Re: Getting Your House Back in Order ~ How long?

We don't even start to take our Christmas decorations down until Three Kings Day(January 6th) then it takes me one day to take down decorations. One day to put them back in the attic and still another day to put everything back in it's place. My house is small so I have to move several things in order to put decorations out. Dh does the tree. It takes him one day. Then we have to sweep and vacuum up the pine needles(sometimes still find some months later) He does the outside decorations but waits until it's a comfortable temperature for that. Happy New Year Everyone!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I had a surge of energy late last night & in my mind, it was going to be "quick & easy" since I bought "less" this year!  Not!!! I finished undecorating about 8:30 pm tonight - and that was only organizing how I wanted to pack it away. (I'm trying to have less containers that have to be put up in attic). 

I ordered the TSV storage bags which was  "touted" as a wrapping paper or decorstorage which could be "underbed" storage.  Well, they are too tall to put under my bed(s) & the wreath bag is huge!  (Sadly, the return is costing me $$$$ but I won't use them).

I definitely have a VPH tree obsession, pedestals but I bought most from "as is".  I will not need to buy anything in years to come! 

IMG_8825.JPG

Then I came up with this idea to store my Christmas dishes, bakeware & serving pieces above my frig in the cabinets.  I then realized the lady who lived here left a 12 place setting of dinnerware & I stored it up there.  I never used it - I will sell it at the community yard sale in March.

Then of course, house cleaning after it's packed away (looks so bare) -- I'll probably be done & house back in order by Friday.  I haven't done the outside yet -- sounds crazy but it's cold in FL (today reached 57 .... brrrrr)!!! (I know I am whining compared to other areas❄️).

It has to be done as I'm taking a cruise end of January!!! 

Honored Contributor

It took me 2 days - one to take down the tree - carefully packing the ornaments in bubble wrap, then today packed the remainder of the decor and put it away on the top shelf of my walk in closet. My housekeeper is due tomorrow so she will clean everything and it will be all spic & span here.

Honored Contributor

When the housekeeper got here I said there is glitter and styrofoam from the packing everywhere. She said that is what everyone has- glitter & styrofoam.

Honored Contributor

It doesn't even take me a full day.  I really don't know exactly how long it took me.  I started to take the stuff off my main tree last Friday in the middle of the afternoon.  By about 9:00, I was done. All holiday decor was put away. The only thing left is outside because it's been so cold but I don't have much othere there and what is out is more winter than Christmas.     

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the wonderful replies.

My home is totally back in order and rearranged to some degree. I truly love this time....so fresh and new!

Respected Contributor

Going to start tomorrow....I have brought up bins from the basement and just trying to get things more organized while packing up this yr and also if I come across anything that isn't or wasn't used I am making a donate pile.  

As for the outside well that's gonna have to wait...it is freezing cold here....below zero wind chill and only about 5 tops tomorrow as the high....-10 to -20 below it's gonna fell like for days.  I love the outside little dispaly I have up on side of house.  I think this is the thing I will miss most to be honest.....every yr we put it up and it just makes me feel good even though I don't see it much LOL!  

Think I will get dressed and go out and take a picture...but it's so freezing out!!

Honored Contributor

I didn't take out much this year.  Took me an hour to take it down and put it away last weekend.  

Esteemed Contributor

I only had a few things out so it's all put away.  I did decide to throw out all my Christmas lights since I'm done with the outside lights and the big trees.

Honored Contributor

This is the earliest I have ever put the Christmas stuff away.  It is a huge job and I was just anxious to get it done.

Outside is still decorated as it is snow covered.  I don't mind leaving it up well into January because it is so cold and dreary when all the lights come down.