Honored Contributor

Re: Garage, basement, attic.....

@Mominohio When we lived up north I was adamant about having space in the garage for my car so that was exactly what I had - a space just big enough to slip the car into.Not an inch more! The only way I got the door open was - when I pulled into the space in the garage I had to stop with the car door exactly next to the little divit in the wall where the door into the house was. Any passenger in my car could not get in until I backed the car out of the garage. 

Here in Fl. he seems to be doing much better keeping the garage much neater.

Honored Contributor

I have an attached garage, an attic and a full basement.  Then we also have a barn at the back of our yard that DH built.  It's the equivalent of a single car garage.   Then we have a very large pole barn on another piece of property we own in another city.  We have way too much stuff.  Ideally we should have bought acreage and built a house.  Now we have no desire to move.  

Our attic is one that you need a ladder to get into.  It holds nothing anymore. Several years ago we had our entire house insulated through a program with the gas company. 

Our basement has one finished section that is drywalled, carpeted, etc.  That is my husband's "jam" room.  The band used to practice down there and now it holds all his musical equipment.  Our washer and dryer are down there along with some tables and shelving.  We also have the treadmill down there as well as an upright freezer.

Our garage is a 2 car but it really fits one car and then we have a refridgerator/freezer and several huge tool boxes and tool tables, misc. stuff.  Our back barn holds some outdoor holiday decor, outdoor furniture, mowers, 4-wheeler, plow, shovels. 

Our pole barn houses our "toys." 

Respected Contributor

Our present home has a full cellar, full walk up attic with 2 finished rooms and a 3 bay garage. In the garage one bay is for the harley and garden tools, one for the winter/summer/fall equipment, and the third is for my husband's tools and miscellanious stuff. NO CARS! haha. It is a good and bad thing to have so much storage room. Good that you have all the space you need for storage and bad that you will fill up that storage space. haha

Valued Contributor

Our present home has a two-stall garage (unattached), a small shed outback and no basement (but a 4 ft. crawlspace)...no attic...

I didn't want a basement this last time we moved...because I didn't want to deal with extra "stuff" , worry about dampness, about falling down the stairs, more space to clean, more space to heat, etc.

My husband thought that was kind of weird, as we'd almost always  had a full basement...but he didn't have to pack everything and purge when we moved this last time....he never cleaned the basement...he just clogged it up with junk...he never spent much time down there (was always out in the garage doing something)...so I said NO MORE!!

Our garage is also detached, as I got tired of tripping over his junk with our last attached garage...now have room for two cars, his tools, table saws, etc., have a full sized refrigerator out there, (but ended up putting the standup freezer in my craft room for easier access)...Many shelves above his work bench, standing shelf units, etc...

And our shed is a little small, but big enough for gardening tools, and seasonal items...

I'm quite happy with our current home....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have an attached 2 car garage which is always clean/maintained. Every Spring and Fall we remove everything, sweep and remove all cobwebs along the ceiling, walls, etc. I clean all the gardening/lawn supplies and DH cleans organizes tools and does maintence on the snowblower/lawnmower.

Above our garage is a mini attic (useless IMO) which we never put anything in anyway.

We do have a basement...an area designated for our washer/dryer/laundry supplies and spare fridge/freezer. Another small space sectioned off (6' x 4') is DH's mini machine shop. There is a 1/2 bath too.

Respected Contributor

Garage.....ours is full of my husband's things although I insist that our two cars be placed in the garage and they are.......!

Basement.....never had one.

Attic.....I thought they were for roof repairs before marrying my dear one. Ours is filled with 'who knows what.' 

I don't keep clutter. I wasn't raised to but my hubby does.

God does indeed have a sense of humor but I dearly love my husband...........so what can one do?  Smiley Tongue

Valued Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

We have an attached 2 car garage which is always clean/maintained. Every Spring and Fall we remove everything, sweep and remove all cobwebs along the ceiling, walls, etc. I clean all the gardening/lawn supplies and DH cleans organizes tools and does maintence on the snowblower/lawnmower.

Above our garage is a mini attic (useless IMO) which we never put anything in anyway.

We do have a basement...an area designated for our washer/dryer/laundry supplies and spare fridge/freezer. Another small space sectioned off (6' x 4') is DH's mini machine shop. There is a 1/2 bath too.

Oh, you are so lucky your hubby helps you clean the garage and/or basement..in our last home, I had to clean the garage and the basement.  I dearly love my husband, but he has a mind-set that it's his space and tells me "It's just a garage! ...or It's just a basement!"  He doesn't think it needs to be cleaned or straightened, as it's his workshop area (s)....

That's why I didn't want an attached garage...although it's much nicer to have one, especially here in the north country, but I didn't want to deal with it anymore..

He now has his space, and I just close the doors and don't have to walk through it, except for getting in/out of the car..he's now quite happy.....