Honored Contributor

I was wondering if anyone could help me to decide on a wall to wall carpet for bedrooms halllways and living room.I have a beige right now but I want a neutral color that looks a little more modern than beige...is there such a thing?

Respected Contributor

Re: Carpet color

[ Edited ]

Gray is neutral.

Sculpted carpet is nice - a little texture makes a neutral somewhat more exciting.

I don't know if I'm spelling this right - but Frisee has tones of colors in the carpet - it's not a shag, but it's got longer fibers. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 I like your idea of sculpted and grey could work.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Berber carpet in light tones. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gray has been popular for so long that I would worry it is on its way out.  I know they say gray is a neutral, but I don't think it would go with my furnishings.  I would stick with beige, because it truly does go with everything.  There are lots of different textures to choose from though.  I probably wouldn't go with just smooth (probably not the right term) right now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go to a carpet store or just to Lowes or Home Depot and look at the selections. Much of the carpets today have various shades in them. You'll see that some of the "threads" of the carpet are dyed different from the main color. We are currently buying a new home and the carpet in an ecru background with some threads grey and some beige. It's very pretty.It's Castle Park brand - oyster color. Our walls are going to be a color called pacer white but I would describe it as Ivory.

Valued Contributor

That is a very pretty color, @151949.  I just checked it out online. Resort Sand is beautiful, too, but all those colors look good. 

Have fun choosing, @dex!

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine@151949 I checked out the color too and I love it...very nice neutral.Thanks for your help.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the Berber carpets as well as mentioned here. Make sure you bring home the carpet samples and keep them for a couple of days to see how they look in each room as well as in different lights. 

What looks good in a bright room might look awful in a darker room. Also, morning light and evening house lights make a huge difference.

Honored Contributor

I just got new carpeting in the family room. It is a light gray/blue. The room get lots of traffic because we spend most of our time in the room, dog too.

I am happy with the color. The sofa and love seat are a cream and blue plaid and an easy chair it also blue. I didn't think I would not be able to match the blue and did not want the blues to not go well with one another. That is why I went with a gray/blue.

Also, since there is alot of traffic, I thought it would keep a neat look.

We had a beige/tan before. Because we had a beige/tan sofa and loveseat and a brown easy chair. That carpet held up well and still looked great when we changed the furniture.

In our hallway and bedroom we have a light blue. It looks so nice. We spent $$$ for the carpet but it was well worth it. They had to come out 3 times to stretch it because it was so thick. But it looks so nice and was worth the extra money. It's funny even repair guys comment how nice the carpet is - who knew repair guys would notice.

We had a bit of the blue carpet left over. And my husband was going to throw it out. I unrolled it and the dog promptly claimed it for his own.