Honored Contributor

Garage, basement, attic.....

Do you have them? 

If not, do you wish you did, or miss having them from the past?

How do you use them?

I have a basement and a two and a half car garage.

Garage has two cars, the outside tools (rakes shovels, etc.), the deck furniture during the winter and two freezers (among other things). Our garage is attached. I can't imagine living without a garage again, like in my apartment days. 

Basement, usual, just too much stuff, but would have to do without a lot of things I use (like a big roaster for turkey) occasionally, as there would be nowhere else to store them.

No attic. I grew up in houses built in the 1920's and before, and they all had nice full, walk up attics with a floor. I miss those. One was a play room for us as kids, other places we lived it was storage. I'd rather have a basement than an attic, as they get so hot and cold, you have to be careful what you store in them, but still miss having one.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Garage, basement, attic.....

[ Edited ]

No, I do not have a basement or roomy attic.  I live in southern CA and few people do.  It would be nice to have the extra storage place.  Instead we have outdoor storage sheds.

Edited to add - I forgot to mention that we do have a garage.  It's a 2-car, but is really only big enough for 1 car.  Besides the car, we have nice shelving for storage there, and I do my best to keep things well-labeled and organized.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in NJ.  My parents house had a basement and attick (no garage).  I end up living in Central California for 16 years with a house on a slab.  No basement, no attic and a small two car garage.  Two cars were always in the garage and did our best with organizational cabinets.  Storage was always a problem.  I now live in a much larger home in the Southeast.  It has a very large attic, 3 car garage and a finished basement.  The attic is where we store seasonal decorations and other things.  We always have 3 cars in the garage and organization for husbands stuff like tools.  There is also a fridge/freezer and a separate stand alone smaller freezer.  Would like to get rid of one but husband holding on to those.  The basement is my husband's domain.  The basement he always dreamed up.  He's an avid collector of many things and now after many years can proudly display everything.  It also has a media room.  He just loves it. 

Super Contributor

We do not have a basement or a garage.  We do have a pull down small attic area I use for some storage.  We have a shed for lawnmower and outdoor storage.  I will say....without the areas to store things, I have less things I don't need.  I would like having either a garage or a basement, just for the ease of storing necessary items.....but we have lived her over 20 years and have managed just fine 😊

Honored Contributor

Have all three, but the attic is just above our garage which has a pitched roof. Nothing up there at all, but I know the neighbors put their outside Christmas decorations in their garage attic.
Honored Contributor

I live in a townhouse.  I have attic storage available, but I never use it.  I have an unfinished basement and store down there.  I have friends who are fortunate enough to have 3 homes.  Each home has an attached garage.  In all cases, their garages are used for storage and their vehicles are parked outside.

Honored Contributor

Before I moved into my one bedroom apartment in NYC, I lived in a four bedroom house in SF suburbs w/2-car garage.

I have almost as much "stuff" in my apartment as I did in my house.  The only difference is that now I can see it all at one time!

Honored Contributor

We have a two car garage with an attic above it.  We also have a small attic above our house and a full basement.  In addition, we have a 12x14 yard shed.

The attic above the house is empty.  The one above our garage is used for storage for things we need but don’t use often....like stuff for the beach, suitcases and small yard decor. 

the shed is packed with lawn mowers, snow blowers, garden tools, bags of mulch...

mosty stuff for outside maintance.

the garage has two cars, and my DH’s tools.  He owns every tool imaginable and then some.  It has a work bench, a full size refrigerator and an upright freezer.  There are cabinets on the walls in there too.

The basement has a laundry room and full bathroom.  The rest is partially lined with shelving.  I have a pantry for food and the big kitchen stuff that doesn’t fit in the kitchen pantry or cabinets down there.

Some of the shelves hold containers of clothing not used often..

like hiking or hunting gear,  party and picnic stuff, folding tables ànd chairs and things like my dog strollers, christmas decor and other misc stuff.

Honored Contributor

After emptying out both a basement and an attic when I sold my house, I vowed never to use either in another home, but I have promised myself to have a garage should I ever move again.  I do miss the convenience and safety of a garage.I run with one car, so a 2-car garage would be a real luxury.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in the Midwest, where we had basements. So, during tornado season it was a nice safe place to seek shelter.

I now live in TX, in a house built on a slab. No basement. Bigger, stronger tornados but no place to go!!

We have an attic, with pull-down attic stairs. Too hot to store anything up there, so it's empty.

2 car garage with insulated door. Tools, lawn implements, and Christmas decorations stored there. It's still hot in there, but not as hot at the attic!

My next move: back to the Midwest where I can have a basement!