Honored Contributor

@Drythe. @lolakimono.  Didn't want to step on your teacher thread, Lola, but I have a question for the two of you since you're experienced scarf framers.

I got this scarf recently by Laurel Burch who does all the stylized cats.  I love it too much to actually use so I thought about having it framed.  I hesitate becase it's silk and about as thin and fragile as it could possibly be.  Its not old but is thinner than tissue paper.  Do you think there's a way it could be done?

20190502_200928.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Love that, I have a LB cat pin I bought probably 20 years ago.

Honored Contributor

Re: Framing Scarves

[ Edited ]

P@Kachina624 

Not stepping at all!  😃  Beautiful scarf!  Horsies!

I do think it it could be done.  The reason is because I have had 2 done already, and one waiting for framing fund to build up.

One is a scarf from Japan, made during WW2 of parachute silk.  It is hand painted, and pretty fragile.  It was gifted to me by an older friend whose Dad brought it home from the occupation.  

The other is hand painted silk from Thailand.  I found it in an antique/junk shop.  It is also very old and fragile.

If you don’t want to take a chance with it, you might want to take it to a professional framer (I did) curator type, not a Marshall’s type - No shade intended, but someone who specializes in antique prints, or the like.  Or you might take a chance elsewhere.

Talk with them, they should be able to tell you if it will survive.  

I think you will be very pleased, and that it will be a show piece in your home.

Good luck!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Drythe.  Were yours mounted on something using an adhesive or were they gently stretched?  Beautiful painting on the parachute silk, real collector's piece.  Yes, framing is so expensive, you definitely need a "fund".

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99.  They sell a lot of Laurel Burch on Zulily.  That's where I got the scarf.  I have trouble resisting her horses.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

They were mounted on acid free paper using rice powder paste.  The paste can be washed out if you ever want to un-mount it.   It and the acid free paper will keep them from being damaged, and keep bugs from being attracted to the silk.  He did not stretch them as he said it might, over time, put too much pressure on the silk and thus cause it to tear.  But looking at my pieces they appear very flat and straight, so stretching must not be necessary.  Also, I know you know, they should be kept out of direct sunlight, more of a problem for you than me.

Goodness yes, I grab up street vendor watercolors, and prints from places I travel, my framing fund is larger than my clothing budget. Currently I have a beautiful piece of lace work (round) from the Lace Isle close to Venice.  I know it will need a mat as the others did not, and cutting a round mat must cost like smoke.  Similar items are all around our home, and bring us both great pleasure and many good memories.

I'm sure you will enjoy weaving stories of the framed horses escapades.

I have a Good photo of a few of the  Lipizzaner Stallions I took in Prague  last fall, several are standing, gazing over the stall wall eyes half closed.

So gorgeous, I know they must be plotting princely doings for  their free time.

Please keep us posted as you move forward with this.  You will love having it in your home, and visitors will likely not have seen anything like it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I would definitely have a good framer do a float mounting inside a mat. 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE.  What's a float mount?

Honored Contributor

I agree if you have a local, owner run frame shop, try them.  Hobby Lobby and other places like that have teenagers do the work, price it at a zillion dollars and then give you "half off" Woman Wink and the local frame shop might not be much higher priced and know what they are doing.

Shop around before you spend money on framing as a rule--just saying. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Framing Scarves

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 , no wonder you want to frame it.  Here is a link about framing Hermes scarves.  Not suggesting a DIY but it is interesting to read.

https://betweennapsontheporch.net/frame-a-hermes-silk-scarf-with-museum-glass-for-maximum-protection....

if you do frame it, come back and show us the result.  Good luck!  LM