Honored Contributor

Home improvements - large new room and considering Pergo laminate. Kitchen gutted but enlarged and considering  vinyl or tile. Old dinning room will be a walk thru area and will use Pergo laminate. Considering the Pergo Kingston cherry .Kitchen area do not want laminate because I drop or spill a lot of things and liquides. I do not want a slippery floor. Would appreciate tried and true experiences about vinyl and the different types of tile. I will be going to Home Depot this afternoon. Spent all day yesterday looking at products and reading reviews. My only options are Home Depot. Very concerned because a major purchase. Also purchasing new appliances that decision made.Tried to post photo of home improvements but very tired. Friend measured floor space and will need 500 sq. ft. TIA , SouthenBee

Respected Contributor

Re: Flooring need help- please.

I replaced carpet in my foyer/hallway area with laminate a year ago, in kind of a walnut tone.  One thing I never thought of was it shows every piece of lint, dust and pet hair.  If I'd known that I would have chosen a lighter wood tone. 

Honored Contributor

@Catty2: I totally understand and agree. I like the cherry color because it is not too dark. About 4 years ago the doctor suggested because of sinus issues to replace carpet but DH  thought a room without carpet would be cold and hard on his feet and legs.  Thanks, SouthernBee

Respected Contributor

I have Pergo XP  throughout my whole house,  including in my kitchen. I love it. Got it from Home Depot. It is not slippery. It has texture. I've dropped very heavy things. I do have one very small ding. I mop up spills right away. Installers love this product because it has the under foam layer attached. No regrets. I get complimemts all the time. I wash with a mix of warm water and vinegar in spray bottle. No build up.

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I replaced carpet in my foyer/hallway area with laminate a year ago, in kind of a walnut tone.  One thing I never thought of was it shows every piece of lint, dust and pet hair.  If I'd known that I would have chosen a lighter wood tone. 

@Catty2    I picked a color called "Hickory".   The samples looked to me a medium shade of wood finish............but when the whole house was refloored, the color "magnified"........and it's still a little too dark.    I can tell you one thing, tho..........I am SO glad to get rid of that carpet!!!!  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ: Thank you for the information and suggestion. My first choice was the Pergo XP. Several friends indicated they had it installed in the kitchen but wished they had put something different in the kitchen. SouthernBee

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi: Handscraped  Heritage Hickory was my first choice but afraid it would be too dark. The cabinets will be Cherry with 3 inch black hardware. The countertops will be Siilestone with specks of medium brown, white and black with a light green. SouthernBee

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we moved into our home 19 years ago, we ripped up all the cream colored carpeting on the entire first floor of the house and put down Pergo in a light color.  My house is a more modern open style so the one floor throughout was really gorgeous.  It was so pretty and we got so many compliments that when we replaced it last year, and only because we gutted and remodeled our kitchen,  we again put in a laminate (Mannington this time in a darker color called Smoke) throughout the entire first floor (except for the powder room, where we kept the tile).  LOVE LOVE LOVE.  We have Airedales and love to chase them around the house. There are no scratch marks from their nails, and the wear is amazing, as is cleaning.  Water is not the enemy in small amounts...   so a few drops on the floor in the kitchen or entry way is not a big deal at all.  I just wipe it up as I would with any floor.   My girlfriend put down wood floors throughout her home, and has told me several times she wishes she did laminate, because her dogs nails are evident all over her home.  My contractor (who did both our kitchen and master bath), who is amazing and in high demand, was AMAZED that the laminate I chose was not wood.  He is now using it in a lot of his jobs.  LOVE MY LAMINATE!!!!!  Easy easy easy to clean (I use Bona for laminate floors) and maintain.

Honored Contributor

It depends on your lifestyle, I have pets and some of my home is done in tile and I love it.  My kitchen is vinyl but when I remodel, I will replace it with the tile that looks like wood.

My only suggestion is don't go cheap.    You want whatever you buy to last and not have to replace in a few years.    Buy the best quality you can afford.

@SouthernBee

Honored Contributor

The house we're living in now has so,e sort of flooring made by Wilsonart in the kitchen and coffee room.

I honestly thought it was hardwood, but DH says it's some sort of manufactured flooring. 

I think the color is discontinued, but I would definitely want it again if we make any changes. 

It's tough and looks very good, and I am NOT easy to fool!