Respected Contributor

We have a gas fireplace, but we live in a temperate climate so it is used rarely.  I like the look of it, though, as a focal point for the room.  

Valued Contributor

I always wanted a home with a fireplace and when I moved back home it was on my wishlist with the realtor and I lucked out. I have one gas fireplace in the kitchen and another in the living room. I use them often in the late fall and winter, especially when I have company over for dinner. 

Honored Contributor

We have a gas fireplace and have already turned it on while watching tv in the cool evenings here where I live. Love it! Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

We have a gas (propane) fireplace in the living room which gets used quite a bit around the holidays.

In my previous homes we have had wood burning fireplaces that were seldom used because I was always nervous about embers not being fully extinguished.

In my summer home we have three wood burning fireplaces (weird, right?) that have never been used.  I have candles in them.

Honored Contributor

We had a wood burning fireplace up until this year, when I sold our house. 

I loved it and wasn't afraid of it at all.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

We have a real wood burning fire place.  I haven't used it in years.  We have a karosun if needed.

DSCN0463.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Respected Contributor

we have a gas fp. in the living room. Hubs built an electric fp unit, for the lower level family room. We have a solo firepit unit on the back deck, for the real wood experience.  Love them all.

Honored Contributor

I enjoy a real wood burning fireplace and grew up with them, but they are a lot of work. Once had a iron stove inserted into the fireplace but absolutely hated it. At one point we had a gas fireplace, but never really cared for it and it seemed there was always a low level fume connected with it. At this point, I've an electric heater log inserted. It's pretty and low maintenance, if not very warm. While I do miss the real deal I don't miss having to clean it out, pay the price for wood, stack it or carry it in, none of which would I easily be able to do at this point.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Yes, in all our previous homes we have had a wood burning fireplace.  Love them. They are the best.  Love the smell, the crackle of the wood burning, the flames, the warmth. You don't get that from a gas or electric fake fireplace.  In our present home the previous owners had a parlor stove.  We replaced it with a wood stove with large front glass window.  I want to see the flames.  Would not be without a real flame fireplace/wood stove.