Honored Contributor

Re: Finally broke down and will install air conditioning for this summer

All of what you're doing is a great investment. Your comfort!

There's nothing like being comfortable enough to sleep--especially.

Although I have AC, I'm not one of those who runs it non stop all day long, only when we have a heat wave.  

We get lots of breezes being only a block from a bay, and shade on one side in the mid afternoon. 

We also have awnings that we have put up from April till October.

Keeping the shutters closed during the day helps to keep the sunlight down. 

I'll also leave windows open a little on the shaded sides of the house--even when the air is on.  

I don't like being closed up all the time.  

Very good that you are getting your ductwork cleaned out!  That's huge.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Congrats on the air conditoniner, but remember to also get a generator in case the electricity goes off so it will  continue to run everything electric in the house.

Also think of having it done when you do the airconditioner because just pushing 1 switch to turn on electricity throughout your residence is worth it's weight in gold, because when a person cannot breathe in the heat of hot months then the ER get's a lot of dangerous walk ins and ambulance with oxogyn needed emergency calls.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden   It's funny to me because I'd guess it's the reverse here in NE Ohio.......probably 13% of all homes do NOT have some type of A/C!

My condo is all electric, and it has a heat pump, which works well for both heating and A/C, although I like the heat so I rarely use the A/C.  For the below 20 degree temps, there's a backup heating coil in the basement.  I like not having any fossil fuel lines on my street.

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You won't regret it!  Plus upgrading your existing furnace should certainly give you a more efficient system then what is presently in your home.

Our last upgrade was in 2012.  We did an extire system replacement. By doing so we received a 15 year warranty for everything, even diagnostic services.  Coming in handy now as our thermostat is going wonky.  It is being replaced free of charge with no service fee.

Honored Contributor

You will love having a cool house day and night without loud fans moving hot air around.

I know I couldn't live without AC

Honored Contributor

You will love it, especially when you sleep, cook, run your dryer, and take a shower and at other times.  Everything is so much better.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden ...I am jealous....we have an airconditioning unit in the wall of our family room and one in the bedroom....unfortunately our home is on a slab so central air would be very costly.  I have lived  in this home 40 years and would love central air..sigh...it's not going to happen.

Also, the way the house is laid out the zone cooling would be very expensive as well.  I am thinking the air is one reason we cannot sell the house.  Enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

I didn't have AC when I lived in WA, but wished that I had during some of the summers.  Sleeping upstairs can get mighty toasty, even with windows open & fans blowing. 

A former coworker had AC in her house, not so much for the cooling, but because she had bad allergies & the AC helped her a lot during pollen season.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SeaMaiden ...I am jealous....we have an airconditioning unit in the wall of our family room and one in the bedroom....unfortunately our home is on a slab so central air would be very costly.  I have lived  in this home 40 years and would love central air..sigh...it's not going to happen.

Also, the way the house is laid out the zone cooling would be very expensive as well.  I am thinking the air is one reason we cannot sell the house.  Enjoy!!

@Mom2Dogs   is your home one story?  Do you not have ducts?  My home is built on a slab, but is two story.  The down stares stays comfortable  during the hot as it is below ground...it is the upstairs that gets so hot.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Sounds great and it has been unusually hot the last few years here.  I live near a lake and have a lot of trees so the only part of my house that gets really hot is my bedroom because of big windows and the afternoon sun.  I put a window unit in just that room about 5 years ago and only used it once in awhile but the last couple years I have used almost every night in the summer.  The weather it definitely changing.  

@DiAnne.  You might consider a tint on your big window.  My bedroom was unusable even on winter afternoons because it faces South and got so hot.  I put a tint film on it and it's a whole different room with the plus of people not being able to see in.  It doesn't affect me seeing out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment