Esteemed Contributor

Re: Filthy Tub - (Suggestions)

For years and years my go to cleaner has been Comet cleanser.  My Mom always used it.  It cleans everything for me and a little goes a long way.  Hope they never stop making it.

Honored Contributor

This is exactly why I haven't had a bathtub in my house for 35 years.  I have nightmares about scouring tubs with Ajax cleanser when I was a kid.  To this day I can't stand the feel of that stuff.  But it worked.  Showers take up less room and are much easier to clean.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I am thinking to fill the tub with hot water and Borax, let it soak, drain, then Magic Eraser.

I had 2 males living in my house for a couple of years. They never cleaned their bathroom - so every few weeks I had to go in there and clean the black/grimy bathtub. I used those small rectangular green heavy duty scouring pads which I purchased at the 99 cent store. I sprayed each area first - then scrubbed. I tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and in one second, the eraser shredded.

I then realized that the builder put in the cheapest bathtub 18 yrs ago when I bought my brand new house (it was chpping and peeling) - and a few weeks ago, I had the tub and wall surround removed - and my handyman installed an acrylic tub with wall surround (2 built-in shelves on each side) and a glass shower enclosure with a towel rack on the inside and outside -- so my life has been made a lot easier. Also put in a new, larger showerhead.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

sometimes you got to clean it with eraser, borax,with vinegar & other cleaners to get it right, took me 5 x times to clean a tub even still not happy. 

Honored Contributor

The Bio Cleaner paste they sell here and some elbow grease works wonders on things like this. If it is stained, you might not get the stains off. I had a very old tub from the 1940's in one house, and some of the stains just never would come out.