Respected Contributor

Re: Favorite flowers to landscape with

I have Lantana and Crepe Myrtle for color. 

I prefer the bright gold in the lantana and the deep pink in the myrtle - but all the colors are pretty in either of those.

Also have trumpet vine growing on part of my back fence.i love the bright orange flowers. Fast growing - definitely need to trim down a couple times a summer for sure or they go up into the surrounding trees. And, the hummmingbirds love them also.

Videx is a pretty choice. Grows fast and flowers like crazy in full sun. I had them in my last yard. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I love the bright pop of ranuncullus in the springtime..i plant the  "bulbs" at intervals to get a constant bloom...

I also love the contrast of bue dutch iris and white snapdragnons for springtime...

Of course here in So Cal, things bloom all year long, so it is hard to recommend to different areas..I have my roses 11 months out of the year...

But i am ejoyng all these recomendations..they are painting a lovely picture in my mind!

Be sure and post photos of the process so we can live it with you!

Respected Contributor

It will always be roses, for me. My dad grew the most beautiful ones I have ever seen. Mine cannot touch his in beauty.

Honored Contributor

Coleus blumei (Painted Nettle), variegated foliage

I love to mix bright coleus with bright green coleus or other greenery.  They do well in sun or semi shade.  The brighter ones are just beautiful.  For shade I do pretty well with impatiens but I put them in big round planters.  Not sure how they would do in the ground.

Valued Contributor

I am pretty far north and have gotten rid of almost everything except my day lilies and hostas.  I like that they day lilies don't spread (they get larger each year but don't mulitply).  I fill in some areas with planters and baskets of annuals for additional color but always have the greenery and nice clean look with those two perenials.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday  LOVE Peony bushes.  They look great when placed in a row (about 5 or 6) to separate one area from another.  I love Impatiens for borders.  You can do all white and then in the middle add a color like orange or bright pink.  I saw this in my old neighborhood and it looked great. Different.  Impatiens are also pretty when mixed (they are sold like this).  Geraniums are lovely in pots with vine hanging.  Rose bushes are also beautiful in a group.  Plants several together either in the same color or mixed.  I will be purchasing my flowers middle of May.  Although I don't own a home, I have deck so all my flowers are in pots and I always make up a hanging basket in a woven basket I own.   Cat Very Happy  I am so happy the weather is behaving.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I have alot of reblooming different colored daylilies, they are beautiful, hardy and the greenery stems crowd out alot of weeds.  I also have beautiful peonies.