Esteemed Contributor

Favorite flowers to landscape with

Now the weather is warm we can finally start the landscaping at our new house. What are some of your favorite flowers to do landscaping with.? My mom wants to get a rose of Sharon and a rose tree. Maybe a peony bush in the back of our property.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite flowers to landscape with

Congratulations on your new home! Now the joy of landscaping! It's important to know whether you have a sunny yard or a shady yard, or a combination. Of the two large plants you mentioned, Rose of Sharon (IMO) is more of hedge plant rather than just a single plant - it works well when used as a hedge and prefers sun. The peony bush is one of my favorites, but it needs a lot of sun and once it gets established, doesn't like to be moved. Some people don't like peonies because the blooms have a lot of ants, but unless you plan on leaving the blooms on the bush it's not a problem. I used to bring the cut bloom inside and rinse them under water to get rid of ants, but it's something to keep in mind. I'd really suggest that you draw a schematic of your yard and any existing trees and take it to a reputable nursery during the week when they're not so busy. They can give you excellent recommendations on size of plants, hardiness and best location. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you're not looking at annual/perennial flowers, but rather bushes and small flowering trees.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Congratulations on your new home! Now the joy of landscaping! It's important to know whether you have a sunny yard or a shady yard, or a combination. Of the two large plants you mentioned, Rose of Sharon (IMO) is more of hedge plant rather than just a single plant - it works well when used as a hedge and prefers sun. The peony bush is one of my favorites, but it needs a lot of sun and once it gets established, doesn't like to be moved. Some people don't like peonies because the blooms have a lot of ants, but unless you plan on leaving the blooms on the bush it's not a problem. I used to bring the cut bloom inside and rinse them under water to get rid of ants, but it's something to keep in mind. I'd really suggest that you draw a schematic of your yard and any existing trees and take it to a reputable nursery during the week when they're not so busy. They can give you excellent recommendations on size of plants, hardiness and best location. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you're not looking at annual/perennial flowers, but rather bushes and small flowering trees.

Yeah that is why we if we put a peony Bush in it will go in the back of the yard. It would look pretty by the retaining wall but you don’t want ants that close to the foundation. Our yard had no trees and is sun all day.  We had a couple rose of Sharon at our old house. 

Mom is excited to get plants. As soon as my dad can get a trailer to get black dirt he will put the flower beds in. Being in Indiana we usually can’t plant stuff until after mother’s day.

Trusted Contributor

Hydrangea, phlox, lilac, butterfly bush, coneflower, black eyed susan, delphium all make me happy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Hydrangea, phlox, lilac, butterfly bush, coneflower, black eyed susan, delphium all make me happy.

I think we are going to do phlox and a butterfly bush also. We had those at the old house. We also had a lilac tree.

Honored Contributor

My favorite is a crepe myrtle tree.  The love hot, full sun and bloom all summer.  They come in a variety of colors but the old fashioned watermelon color is my favorite.  @ccassaday. Do you know what zone you're in?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like you know what you're doing, and you have great help with your mom and dad! Good for you! Enjoy your new home and have fun with your landscaping! Having a sunny location makes it all a bit easier. I love phlox and lilacs and peonies, also a few flowering trees like Dogwood and Pear. Getting plants like Black Eye Susans that expand their territory every year will work great for new landscaping.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My favorite is a crepe myrtle tree.  The love hot, full sun and bloom all summer.  They come in a variety of colors but the old fashioned watermelon color is my favorite.  @ccassaday. Do you know what zone you're in?

Looks like a are in 5b or 6A. We could go either way.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday Those cape mrytle trees get huge and they don’t smell great in bloom...just so ya know..We spent two days pruning a tree for sons fiancé last year and that is some hard wood.She told us they stink in bloom but we weren’t there for that.

Honored Contributor

Lilacs, Pussywillow, Rose of sharon does make a great hedge. I am also partial to rhododendron - pink ones.Love those big spring flowers. At our house in Pa we had a row of peonies along the back on the south side. They also make a lovely hedge.