Esteemed Contributor

I'm having sink issues....agh!!!!!!

I have a double bowl ss sink. Nothing special. It holds my largest 8qt stockpot easily but baking sheets & baking pans, not so much.

Trying to soak an open roaster or 9x13 pan, they don't lay flat.

If you have a farmhouse sink or similar style, was it worth it if you cook or bake daily?  They can be pricey!

I was looking at old cast iron kitchen sinks on ebay. The old, ginormous ones with their built in drain boards. I recall my aunt having one. People don't use their kitchens much anymore?

Honored Contributor

I don't have a farmhouse sink, but I have considered whether or not I'd want one. I have concluded it is not for me for the following reasons.

I don't have a dishwasher and have to wash everything by hand. I want/need two sinks, one for dishwater and another to be free for rinsing or doing other things in while I have dishwater in the first.

I have having a dishpan taking up the high dollar real estate in my kitchen. Another thing to get out and put away and find space to store.

As much as other sinks look pretty, good old stainless steel takes such a beating and looks good. I don't like stainless appliances, and I'll admit a stainless sink isn't the prettiest thing, but it is so serviceable and looks as good now as when installed in 1973.

Valued Contributor

Hi@Snowpuppy,I have a huge soapstone sink from the 20s, came from a home we own down the road.I needed a huge sinkfor canning, i hate dishwashers..So this was perfect . IF  you look in a trader type paper, like penny's saver type  They are for sale.I don't  like the  new ones often made of composite.Seems they stain if you read reviews . Look for an oldie have had mine almost 25 years . the farm house it came out  of has stainless now, not my thing .   Maryanne 

Honored Contributor

I had one in my old house and loved it. Make sure that your counter will fit it. Otherwise you'll have to redo the cabinets and counter which adds up. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

When my parents remodeled their farmhouse, the original sink was tossed in favor of a two bowl sink.  I should have realized that sink made far more sense for canning and washing roasters.

Honored Contributor

When we redid our countertops I thought about a farmhouse sink, but in the end we selected a deep 60/40 stainless.  My 9 x 13 baking dish sits flat on the "60" side.

Esteemed Contributor

My friend has a farmhouse sink and I like the looks of it, plus the size. She misses her double sink because she isn't great at keeping her sink clear. Double sink gives her one open area she keeps clear. Her farmhouse sink came with the house she recently bought.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

All good points!!!!

Holiday meals, I would like to put pans in the sink to soak while enjoying dessert. Right now, the sink bowls are so small that the pans sit on the counters taking up even more space.

I like the idea of having a clean side, too. The ss is durable and I worry about porcelain chipping or getting stained.

Going larger would work okay, I don't have granite countertops-just formica that's in good shape. But would need new faucets/sprayer.

I love the retro idea but that means buying it, lugging it home and having someone install a truly custom fit and the plumbing. And no garbage disposal on those old sinks.

Honored Contributor

I had one in my previous home and if I ever have a reason to replace my kitchen counters I will get one again. I hate these 2 tiny sinks.

Honored Contributor

I have never been crazy about the look of farmhouse sinks.  My new house has two very large ss sinks in the kitchen.  I try to use one for dishes and one for food prep.