Honored Contributor
I have SS, it is probably about 32" wide and is set up in a 70/30 configuration. It's deep also, every dish, pot, casserole fits down in the wide side. I do have a dishwasher, and I use the small side for veggie prep and for rinsing, draining any items I hand wash. The only thing I would change would be to have it be under-mounted instead of a drop in.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

When I remodeled my kitchen I chose a double size single ss sink.  It has a slight lip on one side that fits an optional flat grate. Probably not a good description but it is slightly elevated but flat and you can use it to drain dishes, pans or place something on you may want to rinse, etc.  I love it.  I can remove it if I need the full size for some reason although I usually leave it in as it works great for my needs. 

Honored Contributor

When it comes to pans, whether I'm entertaining or it's just us, I just fill them with water and put back on the stove.  I never put them on the counter. 

I like a double sink for the sake of any dishes that have yet to be loaded to d/w.  But I don't want them in the main sink filling up with water and splashing up if I washing my hands or whatever.

We've had those big sinks in houses we've remodeled and put them to the street.  They are gone within minutes by beachgoers.  Too heavy to move easily, one woman stood in one while she made her husband go back and get the car.

The kitchens were tiny and the sink took up so much precious space.  The drainboards were big enough to accomodate a large dish drying rack and the other half was used as counterspace.  We were able to put in a double sink a dishwasher and and 15 or 18 inch cabinet in it's place.

Honored Contributor

It's hard to wash things like green beans too because they need to go through several sinks full of water.

Honored Contributor

Re: Farmhouse Sinks?

[ Edited ]

I don't like the look of farmhouse sinks but didn't want another stainless sink, so opted for a deeper porcelain sink and I love it. Note, though, that whoever installs it will have to account for the extra weight of any sort of heavier sink. A stainless sink weighs very little and once the new sink went in, there was a certain amount of 'settling' that took place, which forced me to have to reinstall some molding I have around my sink. If you have a costly backsplash, make sure a heavier sink won't pull your counter down too far, exposing an area of your wall below your backsplash.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I moved into our new home last summer.  This house has a large kitchen that I have a total of three sinks.  Two farmhouse style.  They are Shaws Originals and I like them.  Definitely not as large as my other sink in my previous house but it isn't a big deal for me. 

Valued Contributor

I recently underwent a kitchen re-do and had a Blanco 60/40 silgranit drop-in sink installed ( in bisquit color)...LOVE IT!.  The 60' is deep and wide and the 40' is shallower, but big enough to rinse dishes.  I now have no dishwasher, so needed a deeper and wider sink to wash larger pots/pans.   It fits like a glove in my existing cabinet and they did a great job installing it.