Trusted Contributor

Re: FIREPLACE MANTEL DECORATING

@Oznell 

You always post such pretty pictures. I like #3 (looks like Paris) and #4 the best. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Oznell .  I'll go to etsy and ebay and look for brass bunnies.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We live in a Traditional, Brick two story that is 40 years old! We have a Wood Burning Fireplace in our living room, with no Mantel, but a raised Hearth, so we decorate that like a mantel! I wish I knew how to upload a photo on here from my phone...

Right now it is decorated with two whitewashed lanters at each end with candle sticks inside and on top of the candlestick is a lit ball! It is so pretty at night. In the middle we have a huge bowl filled with decorative balls and several of them light up and are on timers, so again at night-very pretty!

The problem with a raised hearth is that when you light a fire you have to take everything off to do it, and obviously with a mantel    you don't....I prefer a mantel, but we have fun decorating..... 

Esteemed Contributor

Very nice, even if some are a little too cluttered for meSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't have a fireplace & mantle now nor did I grow up with one.  I remember at Christmas we had a cardboard fireplace that we put together and I LOVED it at the time.  Now, I would think it was tacky!  LOL!

Most of the mantles here have far too much on them, IMHO.  Less is more!  I also felt there was a few that had plants (not sure if they were silk or real) that overpowered the beauty of the fireplace itself and the mantle.

I love the idea of reusing an old fireplace frame and mantle in a living room or wherever.  I've seen some of the flippers do this on HGTV.  I've thought about doing it myself but just don't have the room for it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Oh, I was completely forgetting raised hearths, @CANDLEQUEEN , those can be such fun and you sound like you have created a very cozy look with yours--  raised hearths have the potential to be especially cozy and welcoming, I think.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, I was completely forgetting raised hearths, @CANDLEQUEEN , those can be such fun and you sound like you have created a very cozy look with yours--  raised hearths have the potential to be especially cozy and welcoming, I think.  

@Oznell They are cozy and welcoming, but I would still prefer a mantel, but at least I have something to decorate! lol! My mom's fireplace is the same, a raised hearth and no mantel, but she has three shelves where her mantel should have been....Her home is older than mine though.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am not fond of any of the mantels and the way they are decorated.  Plus I took a second look and feel the same way.

@Katcat1 

I feel the same way. 

@Oznell 

Thanks for posting these. I’m surprised I couldn’t find one I really liked. Some have too many things displayed and others not enough. Some of the items I just don’t care for. I’m not into leaning mirrors & pictures because I’m afraid they will fall. 

Honored Contributor

I liked most of these. My top 3 are  the leaning mirror, books, bunnies, and white vase, and the first one with the picture and candles...in that order.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoyed all the mantels.  It is good to see ideas, I want to change mine and I really saw good ieas.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!