Honored Contributor

Re: FIREPLACE MANTEL DECORATING

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm sure many of you will be horrified but this is my favorite fireplace.  I can see it with a huge wreath and red bows around the horses' necks at Christmas.  The man pictured carved them.

Screenshot_20200603-150142~2.png

I love overly large fireplaces.....the carving is spectacular. Although not for everyone..this would be heaven for the horse lover.

Honored Contributor

I don't like the books inside the fireplace either @DREAMON .

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I am not fond of any of the mantels and the way they are decorated.  Plus I took a second look and feel the same way.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Thank you so much, those of you who've described what you do with your mantels, I enjoy reading each one, and it gives insight into you and your likes...

@ECBG,  very handsome chimney surround!  If I had a stretch of wall that I could put one on, I definitely would have sourced a nice old mantel.  Unfortunately, there's no place right now to put it, else I'd have to get rid of some crucial furniture, or art, or my house's original woodwork!

I had a lovely reclaimed vintage one in my little shotgun in New Orleans, and I'll have to be content with memories of that!

@NickNack,  I remember your mantel with your great vases, and loved it.  I was thinking of that when I put these up.  To answer your question, the little brass bunnies look vintage to me, and I discovered you can find them on Etsy, among other places.  Here's one that seems similar to those pictured, that was on Ebay:

s-l640.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell, what a wonderful collage of fireplace photos, so thank you for the collection. I think there are a lot of great ideas here - pick out something that strikes you, or use one of the photos and personalize it!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Oznell 

All of these were a lot of fun!

You could look through basic kinds of antique stores and pick up a mantel to put against your wall!  I would put an antique basket or antique bucket of fern or flowers in the opening.

I just google imaged them!

See the source image

@ECBG.  lol.  Looks like a drunk did the brick work.

@Kachina624 That's a salvage yard that sells brick!lol!!!

Honored Contributor

Hey, thank you, @jannabelle1 --  I like your description, a "collage" of mantels!   It was fun selecting them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all the mantel pictures.  We are fortunate to have two fireplaces, one in LR and other in FR.  Our living room fireplace has a traditional wood mantel setting.  I just have a child’s portrait hanging, with candle sconces on each side.  The room is full of furniture and accessories, so a plain treatment is just right.

The family room fireplace is floor to ceiling, and we found an old finished oak piece from the Victorian era to hang for a mantel. Just a scenic picture and an antique clock hanging on the brick, with some candles on the shelf.

Again, quite a bit of furnishings in the room.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm sure many of you will be horrified but this is my favorite fireplace.  I can see it with a huge wreath and red bows around the horses' necks at Christmas.  The man pictured carved them.

Screenshot_20200603-150142~2.png

@Kachina624 

This is a definitely "one of a kind" fire place. Love it.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT,  the charming simplicity of the mantel arrangements you describe, sounds perfect for the rooms in which they are located.