Honored Contributor

Re: Engineered or solid wood flooring? Urgent advice needed.had

We had engineered hardwood maple floors in our kitchen for 20 years, and no problem BUT we bought the expensive one with a thicker top layer of wood.

We live in an area where ALL houses are built on concrete slabs.  Basements are NOT a good thing where we live.  Every flooring expert and builder I have talked with says engineered is the way to go on a slab floor.  The cross stacking of the layers below the wood helps a lot in keeping it from buckling.  BUT go with a GOOD product that is able to be sanded and refinished at least 3 times.  

Million dollar homes and all new construction uses this around here.

If you want a wood floor, you need to make some small effort to take care of it.  If you want to drop stuff on it, wear heels all overit (high heels), and not wipe up larger spills, wood isn't for you.

To me, it has never been a bother, but to some it might.  Just consider how you will use it.  An ice chip melting won't hurt it, a big spill left for house or a water pipe break will.  BUt that will hurt tile too, so just consider what your tolerence is.  A pipe break and you'll have to take up any floor.

We LOVE wood!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Engineered or solid wood flooring? Urgent advice needed.

[ Edited ]

I agree with @KentuckyWoman.  Prefinished hardwood all the way except if you have concrete underneath.  If you do have concrete, you must choose engineered hardwood, not solid wood.  Engineered hardwood has a limited life unlike real wood.  You can only refinish it a certain number of times.  I also agree that you should buy the best you can afford if it is engineered as opposed to real wood.

Laminate comes in different grades of thickness.  Go for the thickest you can afford.  Also, there is an insulation called 'quiet walk' you can use for cushioning beneath laminate that makes it quieter to walk on.

if you go for a good quality laminate floor, you can pay almost as much as you would for real hardwood.

When we build our retirement home, we used prefinished hardwood everywhere except kitchen, laundry, bathroom, entry and hallway.  We have a large dog.  We used tile there, hardwood in bedrooms, LR, dining room.

since engineered hardwood has limited life refinished, we used a high grade laminate in our walkout basement.

HTH.  LM

Respected Contributor

I would have the hardwood floors in my home.  You will never regret spending a bit more money for the hardwood, but you will probably regret not spending more if you put in a laminate.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@AngibethSanchezWhatever you do here is a tip:  do not put wood floors in a kitchen and do not put wood floors at the entry door.  Water seeps in both cases and can warp the wood.  I bought a townhouse with wood floors in the kitchen because the floors where already in.  Yes, it looks nice but like I said water or liquid ends up on the floor and there is trouble.  Even if the wood has a seal liquids still get in.  Good luck with your project.  What a nice welcome home.   HeartCat Happy

I have hardwood floors in every room (except bathroom).  That means I have solid hardwood in my kitchen.  Beautiful.  Actually one of the better places to install 3/4 inch solid hardwood.  No bathroom, but kitchen YES.

*Call Tyrone*
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the lovely comments and advices.

Your opinions seem to be in line with what my sister in-law is telling me to get. She and her wife recently bought a new hardwood flooring for their house in the UK ( it was one of the products of that weird sounding brand  https://www.flooringsuppliescentre.co.uk/browse/real_wood_flooring/1/solid_wood_flooring-junckers/in... ). They are happy with it so far, but I was looking for opinions from people who've had that type of floors for longer. And you guys delivered!

Thanks so much, I hope my husband will be as happy as I will be when he first sets foot in our renovated home.

Much love,
A

Honored Contributor

Re: Engineered or solid wood flooring? Urgent advice needed.had

@Sooner wrote:

We had engineered hardwood maple floors in our kitchen for 20 years, and no problem BUT we bought the expensive one with a thicker top layer of wood.

We live in an area where ALL houses are built on concrete slabs.  Basements are NOT a good thing where we live.  Every flooring expert and builder I have talked with says engineered is the way to go on a slab floor.  The cross stacking of the layers below the wood helps a lot in keeping it from buckling.  BUT go with a GOOD product that is able to be sanded and refinished at least 3 times.  

Million dollar homes and all new construction uses this around here.

If you want a wood floor, you need to make some small effort to take care of it.  If you want to drop stuff on it, wear heels all overit (high heels), and not wipe up larger spills, wood isn't for you.

To me, it has never been a bother, but to some it might.  Just consider how you will use it.  An ice chip melting won't hurt it, a big spill left for house or a water pipe break will.  BUt that will hurt tile too, so just consider what your tolerence is.  A pipe break and you'll have to take up any floor.

We LOVE wood!

We just did our family room, foyer, living & dining rooms.  My husband told me we had to get engineered wood because our family room is on a slab. Since I wanted it all of the flooring (the kitchen has tile) to match so we got the same floor throughout.  

It's only been a year but I'm very happy with how the wood floor looks.  If you plan on placing flooring on a concrete slab, you'll need to go with the engineered.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There are different grades of whatever you choose from solid wood to laminate to engineered wood.

We bought engineered wood for our kitchen which will also go into our living room and entryway.  We have several friends and relatives who have engineered wood and because they bought top of the line, you can't tell the difference. 

Even laminates can be really nice as long as you buy a good laminate.      

Contributor

I had no idea they could be prestained. I feel like everything was harder for us because installed things and had to stain it after. I wish I knew this was an option!