Occasional Contributor

Engineered or solid wood flooring? Urgent advice needed.

Fellow forum users,

I have an upcoming renovation project at home. Me and my sister in-law decided it'd be a good idea to surprise my recently deployed husband with something new around the house when he comes back. He has 3 months left on his mission and most of the details are clear in my mind - new pieces of furniture, wallpapers, paint in the hallways, etc. The one thing I still can't decide on is what type of flooring should I go for ? We've had a laminate until now but I think it'll be better to get an engineered wood floor, or a solid wood one.

I'd love to receive some tips and help as soon as possible, as there isn't much time left.

Angibeth

Respected Contributor

Re: Engineered or solid wood flooring? Urgent advice needed.

I have solid white oak flooring.  My home is 12 years old and my floors still look great...even with a Pug in the house.  I would always choose solid wood.  If I had to do it again, I would get pre-finished instead of the kind that I have that had to be finished after installed.

Respected Contributor

Go with pre-stained hardwood floors.  You can't go wrong and you will never regret it.  We have solid hardwood throughout.  When I remodeled the kitchen a couple of years ago, we had to use the engineered hardwood because the hardwood was too thick.  Engineered is okay but there is no comparison to my beautiful solid oak floors. 

Trusted Contributor

We have brand new engineered wood. What you have to be careful is the thickness so that you know in the far future they can be redone. 

Valued Contributor

There's nothing like the feel of real hardwood floors.  I have laminate floors in my condo and when I visit my friend -- who has real hardwood -- I can't believe the difference!  The hardwood feels much more solid, and it's not as slippery as the laminate.  I would choose real wood.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I overheard a discussion about this the other day. One couple has hardwood floors, but said it was too "hard". Laminate is too slippery. Engineered hardwood it was decided, was easier to take care of & had a bit of "cushion" to it. 

I don't have either, so I didn't vote.

Respected Contributor

My floors are hardwood...over 100 years old. They are still awesome. My friend has engineered wood floors two years old. They feel so odd to me...kinda spongy or something softish that  my feet do not enjoy. 

Honored Contributor

@AngibethSanchezWhatever you do here is a tip:  do not put wood floors in a kitchen and do not put wood floors at the entry door.  Water seeps in both cases and can warp the wood.  I bought a townhouse with wood floors in the kitchen because the floors where already in.  Yes, it looks nice but like I said water or liquid ends up on the floor and there is trouble.  Even if the wood has a seal liquids still get in.  Good luck with your project.  What a nice welcome home.   HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I've had pre-finished hardwood in my townhouse for several years now.  All through my downstairs, including the kitchen.  I've never had problem with water issues at all in my kitchen.  And only slightly on a single board in my foyer.  I had my upstairs hall and master bedroom done a couple of years after the downstairs.  All my hardwood looks as good today as it did when it was installed (except for the single foyer board).  In fact, a neighbor commented yesterday that my floors look like new.  I've never regretted the decision for pre-finished hardwood.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Engineered or solid wood flooring? Urgent advice needed.had

I've had all three types of wood in my home in various rooms. They all work well in different rooms. There are so many types and qualities of the three. My opinion and budget is to get the best quality for my budget. I only want to do a floor once--

Solid wood is great if your kitchen in on the larger size. I had it in a small kitchen and it was hard to maintain.

Laminte is great if it is a good quality. It's an easy installation and there are so many choices for the floor. It holds up in the kitchen. I use my Hann steam mop on mine.

Engineered wood is very nice. I think it's a good solution if you really want solid wood but easier clean up.  

My picks would be : Engineered wood (the look of wood but the ease of Laminte)

Laminate  (more budget friendly)

Solid wood ( will last a very long time) 

i don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Stick to your budget...Installation is a day with everythng but the solid wood. That might take a bit longer. 

Good Luck!