Regular Contributor

Duraflame Heaters & Your Electric Bill.

Hi, Everyone.

I thought i'd already posted this, but didn't see it. As I did a search, I noticed past posts on this subject, but I wanted to ask my question on a fresh page.

For those who have several duraflame heaters, have you noticed your electric bill going down? We already had two but were given two more on Thanksgiving for early Christmas gifts. We wanted to see if our bill would truly go down so the day after Thanksgiving, we turned our furnace down to 65 and put the heaters in the rooms we were in the most. We have the one w/the thermostat & temperature control in our bedroom. We turn it on right as we go to bed and set the timer for 7 hours. Once we wake up and get ready for work in the morning, we turn the little white one on in the bathroom & turn it off when we finish in there. When were are in the kitchen, we turn our Cinnamon one on(its the smaller one w/the glass door) and when we finish we turn it off. Our lounge/tv room has the 4th one in it. We spend a lot of our time in there and we usually run that one until it gets warm enough to turn it off for a little bit. If we start getting cold again, we usually flip it back on until we're comfortable again. Then, we turn it off. We don't constantly run any of the 4. We were so excited to see our electric bill. Well, the excitement went away quickly bc our electric bill went up $23 & change. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I sure hope these Duraflames just don't end up being more of a decor item. ---- {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Respected Contributor

Re: Duraflame Heaters & Your Electric Bill.

I'm sure that you will get many different answers, but for us, the electric logs that we purchased and put in our fireplace have not increased our electric bill. Because our den has cathedral ceilings and is in the middle of the house it's very drafty and we have to turn up the central heat to really be comfortable.

With the Duraflame logs, our central heat does not have to be turned up for the room to be comfortable. Not have a 4 ton central heat and air unit turning off and on has saved us money.

Super Contributor

I have read posts saying some people had increases in their electric bill and others saying they have not. I guess it depends on where you live and how large your home is, how much your power company charges, whether you have electric heat or gas etc. We have a large home that is drafty with high ceilings, and so anytime I turn the central heat thermostat down several degrees when it is cold, it does help reduce the power bill even if I have the Duraflame heaters on.

We have 2 Duraflame heaters and we love them. One is in the family room and one is in the bedroom (although sometimes I move them around). I have not noticed that our power bill has gone up because of them. But I don't have them on all the time. I usually have the one in the family room on usually only in the evenings, for 4 or 5 hours and we turn it off when we go to bed. The one in the bedroom, I usually go turn on in the evening about a half hour before we go to bed, so the bedroom can warm up. Then I turn it off before we go to sleep.

The past week when it has been a bit colder in the mornings I have moved the heater from the bedroom into the breakfast room and turned it on while DH and I ate breakfast. The breakfast room is beside French doors and big windows beside the patio and it is very cold out there and the breakfast room is cold sometimes. The Duraflame heater makes it warm and comfortable for us while we have breakfast on very cold mornings. Whatever we spend on running the heaters are more than worth it to us. We like the warmth of the heaters and the ambiance of them. Even if they did raise our power bill a small amount, we would not mind because we really enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

Unless you have electric heat, why would your bill go down? They say a quarter an hour is what it costs to run these things. So run one for four hours a nite and your bill will go up $30.00 a month.

Respected Contributor

Several years ago I bought a portable space heater from Q and placed it in my family room where we sit every night. Well, I only used it for a couple of months because my electric bill trippled. So there it sits, catching dust.

Honored Contributor

The Duraflame uses 1,500 watts........your electric heat pump (furnace) can use around 15,000

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My Duraflame increased my electric bill by $60 a month. Thats exactly what they said. 25 cents /hour for 8 hours a day = $2.00 a day x30days = $60.00 a month. Spot on!

Valued Contributor

Our electric bill did increase the months we use it, but our heating...natural gas...bill wasn't as bad as the prior years. For the coldest 3 months we saved a significant amount on our actual heating bill, even though our electric bill was a bit higher. We did save more when you average out cost between electric and natural gas bill.
Esteemed Contributor

I have one of the heaters that looks like a fireplace. I use it only when my bedroom does not warm up as quickly as the rest of the house. I would say I use it for about an hour or so to ""catch up"" and then I turn it off. I love to watch the flame. I have not noticed any change in bills ( I am totally electric).

Contributor

They do run on electricity, don't they?? Figure .20 to .25 cents every hour they run. You do the math!