Respected Contributor

Re: Duraflame Heaters & Your Electric Bill.

@SilleeMee wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

Why would you expect utility bill to go down if you are running electric heaters? It costs money to run an electric heater. That's ok (we have two DImplex electric stoves), but it isn't the most efficient type of heat. 

@libbyannE,

The sales people who sold me the infrared heater pitched a long story about how efficient and money-saving the heaters were. At the time, the infrared-type heaters were relatively new on the market and little was known about their operating costs. The little info I could find at that time also stated the heaters could "save you money" on your heating bills. I fell for it and bought the dang thing.

The purchase wasn't a total waste. I'm glad to have it around just in case my gas furnace quits working.Smiley Happy And that was my original reason for buying it.

@SilleeMee

I see. I figure if I am using my dimplex stove to add extra heat to a room without turning up the thermostat to heat the whole house, I will save on the natural gas and electricity that the furnace consumes but pay additional electricity for the electric stove. That's where I was coming from, but I see your point about promises made to you. In any case, as you say, the electric stoves are nice to have around, and now they are so affordable! The first Dimplex stove I bought was around $500!