Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much for the comments!

My concern is that I won't have enough room for guests or to host dinners in that compact space. I had considered another sofabed but adults in the living room are different than when we had kid sleepovers in the living room.  The economy, doubling up, kid moving back in are always on my mind.

There's always room for another furbaby but I'd really like a space to clean pup paws in a utility room or garage.

That said you all have talked me into a 2nd bath. I will also count cupboards and countertop space. 

Zoning in the area requires min. 1,000 sq ft. Budget is okay, talked to the lender so I know what I can afford vs what I feel comfortable with.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure we could downsize to 1000 sq. ft.

We don't need an eat-in kitchen and a dining room as long as we have a table and not just a counter with stools. 

The living room could be smaller by a foot or two. 

The spare bedroom doesn't need  both a dresser and a chest of drawers so that could be a little smaller too.

Valued Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

My concern is that I won't have enough room for guests or to host dinners in that compact space. I had considered another sofabed but adults in the living room are different than when we had kid sleepovers in the living room.  The economy, doubling up, kid moving back in are always on my mind.

There's always room for another furbaby but I'd really like a space to clean pup paws in a utility room or garage.

That said you all have talked me into a 2nd bath. I will also count cupboards and countertop space. 

Zoning in the area requires min. 1,000 sq ft. Budget is okay, talked to the lender so I know what I can afford vs what I feel comfortable with.

Always go with what you can afford and are comfortable with size-wise and location-wise.....Don't worry about what might be, worry about you and your present situation..

We recently downsized to a 1100 sq. ft. home with one bathroom.. (previously had  1  1/2 bath)..but now have three bedrooms vs. two...

We started out our married lives with a small two-bedroom/garage, one bath home without basement....

then moved to three bedroom, one bath with basement/garage....

then moved again to two bedroom/ basement/garage/ 1 1/2 bath...

now back into a three bedroom with one bath/garage/ no basement (in our home town).....

As you can see, we've moved several times...hoping this is the last time..

Even though you're looking at a smaller space, it depends how it's laid out if you'll have room to entertain.

Our home is an open concept for kitchen and living room.  We had 15 people in here for Thanksgiving and everyone had plenty of room to move about . Was able to extend the roung dining table and seat 8 people comfortably.  The rest mingled throughout the living room area.... no problem or complaints..

I wouldn't worry about not being able to have people stay over if you don't feel there's enough room..they can always get a motel room...I don't think they'd mind.

I also wouldn't worry about having two bathrooms...it's nice, but not necessary..(or you could make the 1/2 bath into a utility/laundry/toilet/shower area)

I love having smaller utility bills, less taxes  and lighter maintenance with a smaller home.  We now have no stairs, as we're getting older and I had fallen down the previous basement stairs twice (with injuries to prove it)...Also less clutter... less room to put it..

So going smaller isn't always half bad, really...especially when getting older..

Good luck in whatever you choose..I'm sure everything will work out for you..

Have a great day!!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

That's what hotels are for!!  Plus in 1,000 sq. ft. you should be able to get a second bedroom adequate for a queen size bed.  Have buffets rather than sit down dinners.  Lots of options. I would go with what you "love."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Perhaps the builder could make adjustments ot the Craftsman plan, or perhaps there is a larger, similare Craftsman plan already inexistence.  Maybe do a little research to see if you can find a Craftsman plan that is more of the size you originally intended.

There are lots of books on house plans specific to certain style homes.  Check Amazon, or even places like Lowe's or Home Depot.

Esteemed Contributor

That's the $64,000 question in my mind. My friend sold her big family home up north (3 decks, five bedrooms, etc.) and purchased a 2 bedroom small home in S.C.  She was only in the home for three months and learned that it was just oo small. Her husband has quite a few hobbies (music, painting, etc.), and they entertain out of town family/guests often. Less than a year later they purchased another large home with a smaller lot in the front and back. She wanted enough rooms for every hobby and all the ocmpany that shows up in the year.

I am still downsizing all of our "stuff" and tackeling our DIY projects. I can see a smaller home in the future but I don't know what size. i would want a much smaller lot but I know I would want two extra rooms for options. I wish I could downsize enough to be in a two bedroom starter home. That's my idea of "carefree" living.    

Honored Contributor

I sometimes definitely think you can downsize too far. Especially if you have been used to a large home. Also if you entertain a lot, and have a lot of overnight guests.....I have a friend who always had a nice, large home, it was maybe 3200 sq feet or so-very big, and when their children left the home, they decided let's downsize and find a Fixer Upper-her husband was very handy.

He also had just retired. So they downsize to a home maybe 1200 or at the most 1300 sq feet, and re-did rooms and it was really nice. Now they have 4 grandchildren and she is babysitting while mom works, so now all of a sudden she is questioning hew smaller home!

Plus they moved from a 2 story to a Ranch, and hubby just finished the basement which is very nice sized....She is however, constantly complaining about space..

So I don't know, sometimes I think you can go too small and end up not being happy.....

My sister and brother in law however downsized after owning a 4000 sq foot home. Their new home is about 1400 sq feet, and she said it is perfect size for them and their dog. They also have plenty of space for guests........

I think you really have to think about your lifestyle to know if it makes sense to go a lot smaller........It sure is easier to take care of and keep clean!  lol!  

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I sometimes definitely think you can downsize too far. Especially if you have been used to a large home. Also if you entertain a lot, and have a lot of overnight guests.....I have a friend who always had a nice, large home, it was maybe 3200 sq feet or so-very big, and when their children left the home, they decided let's downsize and find a Fixer Upper-her husband was very handy.

He also had just retired. So they downsize to a home maybe 1200 or at the most 1300 sq feet, and re-did rooms and it was really nice. Now they have 4 grandchildren and she is babysitting while mom works, so now all of a sudden she is questioning hew smaller home!

Plus they moved from a 2 story to a Ranch, and hubby just finished the basement which is very nice sized....She is however, constantly complaining about space..

So I don't know, sometimes I think you can go too small and end up not being happy.....

My sister and brother in law however downsized after owning a 4000 sq foot home. Their new home is about 1400 sq feet, and she said it is perfect size for them and their dog. They also have plenty of space for guests........

I think you really have to think about your lifestyle to know if it makes sense to go a lot smaller........It sure is easier to take care of and keep clean!  lol!  

When we moved a year and a half ago everyone assumed we were downsizing.  We did not.  It was not something we wanted to do.  We like space, we like to entertain, and I wanted to design something of my own that suited our needs and wants.  Everyone is different.  People have to go with their gut on a big decision like this.

Esteemed Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I totally agree with this. You really have to look st your lifestyle. My parents are upsizing for their retirement home. Everyone is different. Our Family  has gotten bigger with grandchildren not smaller. Even though we upsized it think it is the right size. Every space will be used. There is no wasted space. 

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I purchased property with the thought of building a rustic retreat where I can eventually retire.

After searching house plans I bought a set that's very practical and good layout for my needs.  3bdr/2ba and 1,400 sq ft.

THEN I find the absolute most adorable plans for a 1bdr/1ba Craftsman style at just under 1,000 sq ft. I mean this thing is so freakin' adorable you'd see it in a Hallmark Christmas movie!

It's just me & the dogs. No kitsch, clutter or stuff.

But if you've downsized, how far is too far?

We're retired and our home is just over 1500 sq. ft. and there is no way I could downsize to anything smaller.  With no basement, I don't know where to put things now.   My last home was smaller but I had a basement where I could store seasonal decorations, etc.