Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does it really look that bad?

@blackhole99 🤣!  LM

Regular Contributor

This reminds me of people who put plastic covers on their living room furniture to keep it looking new.

👎

Esteemed Contributor

Do you remember the company.....fingerhut?   They sold plastic car seat covers.  Female parent thought why not save the seats........it  would fry your biscuits in 12 seconds in the summer..and crackle like broken ice in the winter. 

Don't recall which left first - the plastic or the car.

Honored Contributor

I think it's fine - quite practical and I like practical!  One thing I might do differently - and this is minor - is to get a smaller sheet of plastic so it covers the tabletop but doesn't hang over the edge.  But finding such a sheet may be easier said than done.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  I LOVE your tablecloth, and it fits your table perfectly! The plastic takes me back to my childhood memories. If I had that tablecloth I think I would not put plastic over it. I would try to place spoon rests wherever possible and wash and iron it if possible.But, I totally understand why you did it. Maybe have the table for display only and serve from a buffet?

Honored Contributor

I personally don't care for the plastic, however it's your table and you should do what you want.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Or even if a sheet of glass is too heavy or cumbersome to install and remove, how about a sheet of clear plexiglass to put on before meals, and remove after and store under a bed or in garage?

Honored Contributor

Plexiglass is really expensive.  I priced it for something once and couldn't believe how expensive it was.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Image result for people's living room furniture covered in plastic to keep it looking new

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   If the tablecloth and the plastic make you happy.....go for it. 

I think this is important to YOU and that is all that matters, in my opinion.