Honored Contributor

Re: Do you prefer putting the food on the table or using a centerpiece?

We have a very small dining room and no eat in kitchen space. 

So if there are just the three of us, food goes on the table. If four or more, it goes on the counter in the kitchen, the table is formally set with a nice centerpiece, and people fill their plates from the counter. 

I cannot stand to be at a big table, well set, and have the food all scattered through. People never get to eat things hot because of all the passing of food, and as the platters and dishes empty out, they look sloppy and messy. 

I much prefer the food on a buffet or side board or counter, and the table to look more finished with a centerpiece.

Honored Contributor

I have a centerpiece when we are serving no matter if food is served at the table or buffet style, or plates filled in the kitchen and brought to the table.

If it is casual, 6 or 8 people, food is on the table usually and the main dish may be in the center with candles and some sort of small objects around it; or may be on a platter at one  or both ends and passed, with a decorative dish, bowl or stand in the middle with fruit or something, seldom flowers, and candles around it, votive or tall tapers.  

If casual and more than 8 people there could be duplicates of each dish at each end of the table to serve faster and be passed.  Burgers or cookout?  Buffet.  Then there will be something decorative in the middle, probably not flowers.

If we have 6 to 12 seated, dinner may be plated in the kitchen, or served at the table from each end.  I don't like people going through a buffet line if there are many at the table and I like the food there for seconds.

I don't serve lots of side dishes, so that isn't a problem, and salads are served separately before or after the main course, or if it is a more one-dish main, could be served with the main course and passed. 

I put something in the middle of the table most often (candles when the table is not being used), but it will be something interesting or maybe just fruit in a bowl, hardly ever flowers.   I have been known to put a stack of pretty books, or books related to the theme or maybe something one of the diners would be interested in and put votives on top or maybe even a little figurene.  If it is tax time, some clear little vases filled with coins in some and a single flower or two in some of the other ones. . . something like that. 

I don't serve many-item meals to more than 6 or so people.  I try to keep the food simple and have a more relaxed meal.  

Honored Contributor

Neither. The kitchen/dining table is a second desk for studying most of the time.
Honored Contributor

I like to put the food on the table.  I wouldn't use a center piece.

Honored Contributor

If the entire family is here, it will have to be a centerpiece with all of the places set.

Valued Contributor

If it's just my family, I put the food on the table.   If I am entertaining and have a larger crowd, I serve buffet style.

The centerpiece usually comes off the table when we eat - unless it's a holiday.  That's part of my tablescape.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a centerpiece on the table when not in use.  Like several others,  if I'm serving dinner and I have 6 people dining,  or less, we sit down to dinner and the food goes on the table.  More than 6,  it's buffet style.  The centerpiece comes off when the table is in use.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes have a centerpiece on the table, but I remove it when we sit down to eat.  I can't stand any more clutter than necessary.   It makes no sense when you're seated at a wedding or event and you can't even see the people at the table because of the centerpiece.

~ house cat ~