Honored Contributor

Re: Do you prefer putting the food on the table or using a centerpiece?

I am enjoying thinking about sitting at a table with an "enhanced" light fixture over it, as Alberti Popaj has done here.  No need for a centerpiece with this as eye candy.  The greenery down the middle could easily be replaced by dishes holding food.

Image may contain: plant, flower, table and indoor

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I am enjoying thinking about sitting at a table with an "enhanced" light fixture over it, as Alberti Popaj has done here.  No need for a centerpiece with this as eye candy.  The greenery down the middle could easily be replaced by dishes holding food.

No...No.   Something that big hovering over my head would make me nervous.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@GingerPeach This is so festive, and happy looking!!!!

Respected Contributor

If I am entertaining, I always use a centerpiece. I have a buffet to hold my food.

Honored Contributor

food on the table if it is six people or less, buffet style if there are more than six people. no centerpiece during the dinner.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach I would probably never be able to do that...but it is beautiful. What would break my heart is when I had to take all that work apart!

Esteemed Contributor

I keep a centerpiece on the kitchen and dining room tables all of the time because it looks nice.  When eating, they are removed.  Even if I have a crowd, I put food on the sideboard and generally forego a centerpiece.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

if it is 6 people or less, I put the food on the table, but if it is more, then we do Buffet Style. I have a Centerpiece on my table when it is not in use!!!! I change it out for the seasons as well..... 

This is my "policy" too.  The centerpiece I display on my dining room table is removed regardless of whether we're doing a buffet or family style meal.  I prefer to decorate the table with candles and small floral arrangements either at each place setting, or in the middle of the table.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, if I have 4 then we'll sit at the kitchen table and use the "pass" method.

The days of "traditional sit down" dinners are long gone for me!  I love doing buffet style (i have the room).  The food I place on island or buffet table.  

Everyone can get up and eat what/when they want --no worries about spillage, cold food, timing so everything is on table on time, Etc.

Of course, the ladies normally hangin the kitchen/DR, the guys hang in the den or the lanai.  (once summer temps hit in FL most stay inside).

My DR table sits 10 and I put up a 6' folding table if necessary -- everyone has a seat somewhere!!! 

It's  also more relaxing & enjoyable for ME as the hostess😊😊😊

as for a centerpiece : I always have one on my DR table and kitchen table but it's removed when we sit down to eat.  As for one during gatherings, I usually have a "theme" so something is down the middle of the DR table & something small on buffet table.  

Honored Contributor

I don't like passing food around the table, I like a buffet offering better. I like a centerpiece on the table.