Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Really Need A Coffee Table?

Never had a coffee table, and never will.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs -

I do that too and its a good idea.

People can sit on the couch and use a sturdy tray to hold dinks lol drinks! etc.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

First, I have to say I don't see much difference. Most of those are a variation of a coffee table. Secondly, yes I see a need for a coffee table in our living room. 

Honored Contributor

I grew up with coffee tables when I was kid. Every family member & friend had one. I had one in my first apartment and in our house. It was a place to put drinks, magazines, remotes for electronics, decorative items, etc. 

The coffee table became a problem when our first dog got older & had trouble navigating around it. We were afraid the dog would get injured jumping up & down from the sofa. Our rooms are small so there wasn't a lot of space between the sofa and the coffee table. I hit my legs many times. Anyway, the coffee tables that were in our living room & family room went to the unfinished basement and have never returned. 

DH complains about the missing coffee tables once in awhile because he likes to have a place to put things, but he's adjusted to sitting at the end of the sofas next to the end tables for that. He also still has a huge coffee table in his man cave downstairs. I don't miss the coffee tables at all. 

Honored Contributor

To me, those are all coffee tables.  And yes, I like having some form of coffee table in front of the seating areas.  My current preference is an oversized ottoman with a large tray, which I have been using long before it became a trend.  However, I have a large trunk in another living area that serves as a coffee table.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant 

I use to like the "homey" look of coffee tables .. that was years ago.  since then, I've opted not to have one as I prefer space in our smaller home.  I also prefer end/side tables.  IMO they make more sense.