Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Really Need A Coffee Table?

@jubilant -

I know what you mean-

Great place to store Christmas things! (a must have!).

I use mine to store picture albums and family history and school work/papers from my children.

But it is also a nice soft landing to put your feet.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I don't. I have an upholstered rectangle hinged lid storage ottoman in front of the couch in a lighter coordinating color.

A chair has a set of stacked rectangular sturdy lidded baskets with a large hardcover book on top for a smooth surface, a mid size recliner has an antique cabinet stand with a drawer and two doors next to it, and the couch is flanked by two round rustic stone w/ metal legged tables.

It all depends what kind of look you want. I like coffee tables, but I do not need one, so I opt not to have one. I like my rooms to be more open with a lot of bare floor. I have seen several I have liked over the past say twenty years but never bought one.

Have comsidered maybe a wood one with metal legs, a rustic or relaxed look.
But, I also have been saying that for years now..... 

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

I think those alternate tables, that are in place of a coffee table, are just that-- coffee tables.  

I always have a coffee table.  I like the books, the flowers, the candles and the things I keep on mine.  I do understand though.  If it's a small space and it's a struggle to walk around or if it becomes a big junk pile, that is not good.

I also like end tables.   I also have a few "C" tables that are very easy to move around. I have used them in the bedroom, too. Great for lounging there with drinks and snacks, too.  I always followed the thought, every seat needs a little place to put their cup.  

Honored Contributor

@justashopper -

So true!

No one likes the middle when they just have to hold the cup or whatever in their hand. I bet your home is really comfortable and a nice place to hang out.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay haha!!  Hate that middle seat!  

Thanks!  I do like hanging out here Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I have had a coffee table for decades and thought it was necessary. About a year ago, I took it to the basement so I could use the ottoman that matches my couch.  I haven't looked back and I have more room in my LR.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you dont have a coffee table where do you put your feet when sitting on the couch?  Asking for a friend of course! Woman LOL

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Absolutely!  Ours has drawers and a bottom shelf.  DH keeps his computer there and some paperwork.  Also magazines, knitting books, etc. all within easy reach.  We also have 2 "end tables" with drawers and bottom shelves.  I like things to be within easy reach.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love the orange room.  Any of these looks work. No coffee table in our living space either, in fact my 'coffee table' is my square ottoman on wheels. It's large (about 2.5ft x 2.5), room for my feet/legs but my coffee cup, glasses and remotes too!!!! Yet not too busy. It works.

Esteemed Contributor

No difference.  I don't care for any of them.