Honored Contributor

THE COTTAGE YOU'D EXPECT WINSTON CHURCHILL'S GREAT-GRANDDAUGHTER TO HAVE

snapshot.jpg

I didn't even know who she was when I clicked on the video of her Dorset cottage.  But that surname, "Soames" rang a bell-- knew it was some 'aristo'.  Soames, Soames?  She's the designer granddaughter of Churchill's youngest child, Mary.

After a huge personal loss, she moved to this cottage, and decorated it in this quintessential English style.  Quirky, crowded perhaps, filled with sentiment.  Personally, I could not live with quite this amount of stimulation.  Still I appreciate this timeless look and find this kind of interior fun to visit.

snapshot.jpg

Screenshot_2021-03-14 Inside Flora Soames' peaceful woodland cottage Design Notes House Garden(1).jpg

By the way, for those who enjoy seeing totally authentic, "maximalist" English interiors in book form, the quick primer is still Alvilde Lees-Milne's  "The Englishwoman's House".   It's neat to peruse these famous Englishwomen's lairs, and there's lots of text by the women themselves. 

It may not still be in print, but copies are available widely, including on Amazon.  English cottage style does not "date"--  Flora Soames' rooms would fit in exactly with that book.

Here's Flora , giving a full tour of her cottage.  The one room I could not stay in is her riotously flowered little spare room!  But I can see why she would enjoy it, and she does design wallpaper, after all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nqMkYlMtPw

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE COTTAGE YOU'D EXPECT WINSTON CHURCHILL'S GREAT-GRANDDAUGHTER TO HAVE

@Oznell, That cottage is a pip! Nah, I would decorate it differently, though, on the inside.

Funny, the other day I ran across a book review/interview with Mary Soames, the author. They were discussing her latest book (at the time, back in 2010? 2011?) all about her parents. She was delightful! And I'm so glad to have learned the correct pronunciation of her mother, Clementine, (pronounced: Clem-en-teen.)

Honored Contributor

Although I'm not one for a million patterns, I love how she mixes things based solely on whether or not she likes them.  No strict adherence to a style; just her own rules (which I can totally relate to.)  I do love the painting over the mantel.

Respected Contributor

I love the opposites!  Outside, the land, so pristine, exacting, manicured...........then the inside.........a true jumble!!

What surprised me was the lack of light......maybe, just my computer. For some reason, there was a sense of heaviness for me in each of the rooms, not enough joy.  I was very aware especially upstairs, how low the ceilings were.

Would love a visit, don't think the rooms are as crowded together as they are in the photos and all those lovely books!

Honored Contributor

The garden seems lovely. The house structure is charming. Inside is clearly decorated to fit her personal choices and preferences. I didn't find much that was impressive, though I did like a few of her patterns.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I enjoyed seeing that!  It is fascinating.

I could never achieve anything like that because I do not have the heritage, the family, the relics or the history that she has.  What she has compiled there would not be authentic without her context, which I don't have.

I think she is exactly right about small spaces.  Someone who has a fabulous house told me that a small room will seem more spacious with a wallpaper that has a design you can "see through" like vines or leaves or something.  It gives your eye the sense of seeing further past the design.  Blank pale walls just close in on you--and you feel trapped. 

Thanks @Oznell for sharing! 

Honored Contributor

The style clearly works well for her which is what really matters. It would drive me crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  I loved seeing this home, decorated with such love and filled with her memories and treasures. To me that's what a home should reflect. To some it's clutter, to me its a life story.  I love looking around my home at special things I have collected over many years and can tell the story behind each treasure.  Memories, loving gifts I've received bring me joy. 

How can a home like hers be criticized?  It's her! You mentioned she suffered a great loss and to me she found herself in her cottage decorated  in her English style. Is it my style, not at all, but it's not a style, it's a life story, hers and no one elses. Thank you for sharing, it caused a strong reaction and I would love to have tea with her in that beautiful garden.   I did watch the video.

Honored Contributor

What fascinating reactions these are from you all--  I had a feeling there would be interesting comments, and every one of you came through!

"Heaviness",  @Somertime ,   I had that feeling too, more in some rooms than others.  Things a smidge murky.   Wonder if her grief (I think it was either her husband or significant other who died) tinged things a little...

@faeriemoon,  same, with regards to that abstract-y landscape!  I want it actually!  She mentioned the muddy colors, and in that case, I love muddy.

@mspatmac,  what a detailed, enjoyable, thoughtful response-- thank you for taking the time to suss out what it evoked in you!

What I love the most is the mood brought by the flowers, vibrant, huge, loose bouquets and bringing life, even in her long, messy work room.  Imagine having a cutting garden like that, right in the middle of the woods...   

Honored Contributor

She has a nest built in time.  Many don't.  I think it is that simple.  She has a heritage and a place, some don't.   Some of us start from scratch.