Respected Contributor

Occasional Contributor

Re: Is your home true to size?

This sounds rather like a humble brag from "mememe".

Respected Contributor

@jlynn14 wrote:

This sounds rather like a humble brag from "mememe".

Did not mean for it to be so. I will delete.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   Leave your post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Actually people are surprised by the room in our basement. It is almost like a huge apartment with kitchen and bath.

Trusted Contributor

@jlynn14  I didn't take it that way at all.

@Abrowneyegirl  I have learned over the years that a house can be XYZ square footage and feel very small though the footage is quite large and vice verse. In the end, it's all about the floorplan and how well the space has been used. There is a LOT of wasted space in houses and it may make the house look dramatic and give a larger "feel" but in the end, I need room to place furniture and store things PLUS I'm paying taxes on that space. Give me extra usable room over a large foyer or wider stairwell or a butlers' pantry between the dining room and kitchen ANY day. IMHO, those are wasted space but I'm paying for the square footage every year.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   Leave your post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Actually people are surprised by the room in our basement. It is almost like a huge apartment with kitchen and bath.

Funny you say that because that is what got me thinking. About true to size.....

Our friends just finished a basement remodel (to move in a sick relative) and it is HUGE.  It is so light and airy.  I would have guessed it 2X the sq ft that is it but it feels so spacious.

NOT true to size.

I was just thinking about how deceiving space is depending on decorating and lighting.

Respected Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee 

Our builder once told me there is a lot of wasted space in many homes because of "grand" 2 story foyers and family rooms.  

He called it unusable sq ft.  (that you have to heat and cool).

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Exactly. If I had the money, I would hire someone to design my home for me in order to aviod all the wasted junk/space. That is NOT the priority of new home builders, that's for sure!!!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@AbrowneyegirlI didn't get to see the post. I would like to see it. Please don't let any poster stop you from posting what you want to post. If they don't like what you post about they can move on.

I also have a rule (most of the time) I never go back and defend myself when I get a nasty comment.

Respected Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@AbrowneyegirlI didn't get to see the post. I would like to see it. Please don't let any poster stop you from posting what you want to post. If they don't like what you post about they can move on.

I also have a rule (most of the time) I never go back and defend myself when I get a nasty comment.

The question in the original post was,

Is your house true to size?  As in does it appear or feel larger or smaller than it's actual sq ft?