Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

the post at the end about recipes , prompts me to add this

Note on iPhone has a scanning feature you can scan pictures and or printed material

there are other phone based apps out there 

Honored Contributor

also recommend looking for a Buy Nothing group near you,  it's a great way to get rid of stuff you don't want, someone else will take it. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette - I'd LOVE to simplify my life, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Between work, the house, 2 teenage boys, 3 dogs, etc my life is anything but simple. And it seems like it is getting worse all the time. There's always some crisis popping up.

Someday, if  live long enough to retire, raise the kids and get them out on their own, downsize to a smaller place, lose a dog or two, things might slow down some. But for now, it's just generally pretty crazy around here. Lots of activity and lots of stuff. I try to simplify where I can just because things ARE so crazy, but it's a challenge for sure. 

Respected Contributor

@dsw503 - Welcome! I am so glad you joined us early and hope you stick around!

I don't really have any advice on how long to keep paperwork. I've heard 7 years for taxes, so that's what I do. Some things I keep forever, like a release of a mortgate, loan payoff, death, marriage, etc. Insurance I really only keep as long as the insurance coverage is current unless I have a big claim I want a record for.

I don't know if this is correct or not, it's just what I do. Maybe someone else can add something more. 

Respected Contributor

@amyb - There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting easy! I do it all the time! Sometimes that's all I have tie for, just a few minutes to do one small space, but it all adds up. If you get one cupboard or one little shelf decluttered, organized and cleaned it helps! And definitely gives us motivation to continue! Great way to start!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@lynnie61 - I am so glad to see you here!  I hope you post more often! It helps all of us as more people share their progress, as well as setbacks! 

Respected Contributor

I just wanted to thank everyone for giving their opinion on how often we should start a new thread. It sounds like the majority prefers the yearly thread, so I will just keep with that. I hope that as the year progresses on that we can keep our momentum and that many on here will continue to post. Happy decluttering!

Honored Contributor

This morning, I threw away 3 houseplants. They were showing age and I really don't have a place to put them and don't have time to fool with it, so out they went. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So after yesterday's break; I started. As I was having my coffee; I noticed there were a pair of broken readers, on the coffee table. I asked DH if he realized they broke and he did. They went into the trash. They're the cheapo kind  and we have  3 others here...brand new. He has to learn this game as well, because I can't take all the blame for this mess !! 😝 

3 canisters had been displayed for the holiday. I told myself bye bye as soon as the item is finished. Today was tempted to keep one for my sewing needs...mind you; I don't sew. Every once in awhile, I mend something or sew a button back. It's a really small amount 4 or 5 spools, pack of needles, bag of spare buttons and snaps and a scizzor. I acknowledged that I do not need to upgrade my sewing kit from smaller fruitcake canister to the larger fruitcake canister. 😝  I also trashed the cookie and the wooden soldier tins

I feel good about my small win.  Here's hoping that I'm off to a good start.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@geezerette - I'd LOVE to simplify my life, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Between work, the house, 2 teenage boys, 3 dogs, etc my life is anything but simple. And it seems like it is getting worse all the time. There's always some crisis popping up.

Someday, if  live long enough to retire, raise the kids and get them out on their own, downsize to a smaller place, lose a dog or two, things might slow down some. But for now, it's just generally pretty crazy around here. Lots of activity and lots of stuff. I try to simplify where I can just because things ARE so crazy, but it's a challenge for sure. 

@rnmom 

Well sure, but you're in a totally different time of your life and situation compared to mine.  Even with just one other person you can't simplify as much as you'd like if you have no one else to consider.  Let alone having an entire family (dogs included!) and a full time job.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that as your boys get older they can take on more and more responsibility for themselves.  Sure, you'll still have the main common areas of the house to take care of, but they can be responsible for their own rooms.  

Throw their clutter that you don't want scattered around the house into their rooms and shut the door.  Let them deal with it.  In fact, you do them a favor by teaching them how to take care of themselves before they have to do it when they leave your home in a few years.  You might not be getting rid of anything by doing that, but you are decluttering at least part of the house.  And it does simplify your life anyway.

Once the boys are gone you may find that you miss all that chaos and clutter that you now think is such a pain!😉