Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

@Trinity11 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

This morning on the today show ,they were talking about a show coming soon , i forgot her name ,she is a tiny Japanese lady ,that will help with organizing, on netflix.

@goldensrbestMarie Kondo? My only issue with her tips for decluttering is that she tells her clients to ask themselves if they find joy in something before deciding to throw it out. Quite frankly, I don't find much joy in inanimate objects so her theories are lost on me. I prefer Don Aslett...

@Trinity11, I agree with you about inanimate objects. Every time I hear that phrase, I mentally shake my head, lol. To me, "joy" is a much larger emotion than I have for things. 

Cleaning today, perhaps some decluttering this afternoon or tomorrow.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

@rnmom Except for a thread a few days ago that caught my eye, I've never posted on the Home forum. Then I found your thread by accident. I would love to use this to help me along in my efforts to declutter. My steps may be tiny, but I'm full of good intentions. I will go back and read the posts to get caught up later. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

This morning on the today show ,they were talking about a show coming soon , i forgot her name ,she is a tiny Japanese lady ,that will help with organizing, on netflix.

@goldensrbestMarie Kondo? My only issue with her tips for decluttering is that she tells her clients to ask themselves if they find joy in something before deciding to throw it out. Quite frankly, I don't find much joy in inanimate objects so her theories are lost on me. I prefer Don Aslett...

Don't think don is in the same type of decluttering, i think you can have joy in things,if some one you love gave that item to you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Don't think don is in the same type of decluttering, i think you can have joy in things,if some one you love gave that item to you.

True but she is telling clients to whittle down their wardrobe by asking if a sweater brings joy. @goldensrbest I just can't relate to that...

Honored Contributor

I have gotten many good ideas, helpful hits and suggestions from Marie Kondo. For me she is motivational and inspirational. 

Honored Contributor

I have another shopping bag almost ready to go to Goodwill. Not quite full though so I’ll hold on to it till it is. 

I do have several things ready for consignment. Some unopened shower gels, a purse, a pair of shoes and three tops. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

1/8: 1 empty conditioner bottle into the recycling bin; 1 wet comb, and 2 plastic scoops from silverware drawer tossed.

Respected Contributor

@Eager2Learn-Welcome, so glad that you joined in! I never used to post on the Home forum either until someone mentioned the purge thread to me last year. I came on over to check it out and decided to join in, and I've been been posting ever since.

Even tiny steps are a step in the right direction, so please, feel free to post any and all decluttering successes! Sometimes I don't feel like doing a big "purge" and spending an hour or two organizing, but even small things, like organizing one drawer or tossing some random papers help keep our spaces clutter free and more organized. So everything counts!

I look forward to hearing how you're doing!

Esteemed Contributor

Just about finished with the master bathroom. Tossed a few things ( less than I could have) and organized. The other bathrooms are already pared down. It feels good to purge and purging is saving me money while costing zero. No need to buy organizing bins, etc. when things are leaving the house. Going through the bathroom I found that I absolutely need not buy anything from the Health and Beauty categories for at least 2019. Only thing I needed was a package of razors: only one left. Picked up a pack today on sale and with a $3.00 coupon.

I am enjoying feeding the trash can, recycle bin, old clothing bag and garage sale boxes. All are looking quite full!

Honored Contributor

My husband retired this past November so my decluttering is at a standstill. He keeps everything and if I throw something out or want to donate it, he takes it out of the car and or garbage can.

I just found a new Dooney handbag in the guest room closet that I "thought" he had brought to the church for donation. I found it too heavy to use and wore it once. Apparently, he thinks since it is new, he can carry it for me when we go out. LOL

Still going to continue getting the house in order for the Spring, though. It is just going to be a very, very loooooonnnnnnggggg process.