Respected Contributor

Watching the presentation of the faux cedar trees TSV this morning I was so tempted. The front of my house gets hot western sun in the afternoons from June until sometime in October. It is so hard to find something that can tolerate the heat and sun. When they were showing the trees the host and vendor kept saying they were so realistic that even touching them you almost could not tell that they were faux. But I could see that they were plastic and did not look real at all. Has anyone ever ordered faux plants from this company?

Honored Contributor

Re: FAUX CEDAR TREES

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

Watching the presentation of the faux cedar trees TSV this morning I was so tempted. The front of my house gets hot western sun in the afternoons from June until sometime in October. It is so hard to find something that can tolerate the heat and sun. When they were showing the trees the host and vendor kept saying they were so realistic that even touching them you almost could not tell that they were faux. But I could see that they were plastic and did not look real at all. Has anyone ever ordered faux plants from this company?

@50Mickey   I have not ordered faux plants from this company or any others, to my knowledge, but let me add that I did have some faux flowers in a pot of real evergreen on the west side of my house.  The colorful faux flowers faded in 2 months' time, thus making the vibrant zinnias (which I thought would give just that pop of color to my mostly green side of the landscape), a visibly faded, paltry orange and pink. 

I don't know if these shrubs/trees would fade in hot sun but west afternoon sun is very, very intense, as you know.  In summer, it stays up until late and hot.  In winter, sun goes down on the west very early, thus making everything cold on that side.  

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey  Not sure if mine was the same brand, but I had a similar one on my porch for several years in the heat.  Mine was shaded by a porch but did get some direct sunlight during the day.  It lasted for years and years.

I think they would be nice in front of a house but you would have to anchor them down somewhat if you have any wind. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Super Contributor

We have an area in our yard where the sun is just too hot for anything to survive and have thrown hundreds of dollars on live plants that die no matter how well we care for them.  SO FRUSTRATING!  I ordered some boxwood and similar  cedar hedge plants from Amazon from this company.  The ones I ordered were highly reviewed, but some from the same company were not.  I must say I am adverse to faux plantings but needed a solution.  Mine are so realistic that I had to tell our landscaper NOT to trim them. They are quite amazing actually. Since there are no reviews for these you may want to pop on Amazon to see how similar trees from this company are rated.  These seem well priced and could be your solution.

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey 

I posted on another thread that I was tempted myself.  

I have several areas I have replanted many times with shrubs, and the deer/insects/disease have destroyed them over and over.  Our soil is clay/gravel, and nothing will thrive.

Not to mention, I'm back in the woods.  Not an ideal place for planting.  

Mostly, I'm tired of replacing dead shrubs just so it won't look empty in the spaces I have designated for shrubs.

Last straw was when the deer repeatedly ate "deer resistant" shrubs.

I searched faux bushes a few months back and they were very pricey.  I might take a chance on a few of these and just see how they work out.

Honored Contributor

I live at a high elevation where the sun bleaches everything. Doesn't matter if it says it has some sort of UV protection or not...the color always fades at some point. So I'm avoiding those trees. I think they are nice!

Trusted Contributor

I  bought the tallest one 2 years ago when they had it on. It's on the west side of my house where it get the sun in a pot. I  put topsoil in the top to make it look like it was planted. It's hidding the box and all the piping for the sprinkler system . I love it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: FAUX CEDAR TREES

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey wrote:

@50Mickey  You are right carrie ann. You can tell they are fake trees. I was just watching the presentation a few minutes ago.  When the camera was not near, you could tell...fake trees. But when they did a close up shot, It was even worse. Looked just like a green plastic tree.  Maybe if they were far enough from the sidewalk/road in the area you want to use them in people could not tell and it wouldn't make a difference?

Trusted Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Well, I can confirm these are GOOD PRODUCTS...here is my story..

I have a bay window and nothing will grow in that area.  I spaced it out and I have 4 of a similar tyoe pf plant.  I placed the pot completily under ground and planted the bush.

I has lasted now 4 years in snow, rain, and it has NOT FADED at all.  Then I have an area in my front yard that is in DIRECT SUN and I did not have the money to invest in real plants or the fertilzer required to make it be worth while.

SO I planted 4 of the small circle bushes like this item.  They have also lasted for years.

Side note, if you have amazon prime, go check.  That's all I'm say...so I won't get my comment deleted.

The item is called - National Tree 48 arborvitae tree

It is not identical but just an option to consider

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey  I have two tall cedar shrubs on either side of my front steps like these by the same company. They replaced boxwood that the gutter overflowed on and broke.  I ordered two more today for a fence gate where I removed huge overgrown shrubs.
  They look like plastic up close but from several feet away you can't tell them from real ones I have. Real potted shrubs get ants in them so these in cement pots look better and last. NO BUGS! NO Watering! No deer munching! 
   My neighbor is always replacing his. He asked me how I keep mine green and shaped. The sun has killed his. When I told him they were artificial he was surprised.

I have boxwood ones with stakes in front of a fence because sun and snow will damage real ones (of which I have many).

I love them!