Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

The kitchen junk drawer ! Finally dumped out and purged.This time with dividers to keep the junk

organized ! 😀

Honored Contributor

A year ago this month, I quit smoking and gained a size.  I live in capri pants and have many hanging in my closet.  Don't want to get rid of them so I am folding them up and putting them in a tote so that I finally have a place to put the clothes that I am wearing now.  Long time over due.  I plan to purge my home until it echos!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

I finally got my donations dropped off this last Saturday too and started another box on Sunday. I take most of my items to a women's domestic shelter resale shop and fortunately for me, they weren't busy at all.

I got my Christmas tree taken down Sunday and found another handful of small ornaments that I don't care for. I put them in a baggie and started another donate box. It was only about 8 small ornaments, but that's 8 ornaments I won't have to fight around next year. Every little bit helps! 

@rnmom

I know what you mean! I was tossing three ornaments this year, and I thought, how insignificant it was, but we all know every little piece of something we let go of, makes the next thing that much easier to do as well. 

Honored Contributor

I cleaned out my sock and underwear drawer. It's one of the first places I begin my annual 'every closet, drawer, and cupboard' purge. I tossed four pair of socks and two pair of underwear and one bra. I haven't bought any of those things in several years now, and I still have lots in use, and brand new backups. I expect to be able to go at least another year, and then most likely will only need to pick up a couple of bras. 

I've said this before, but because this is a new year thread, it might attract some people who thought that last year's had gotten too long to explore. One key to keeping control of our stuff is to first get everything you have of any given category all in one place. It's amazing how many of us have the same things stored in several different places in our homes. We do it as we run out of room in our original space. 

Once you have all of a particular something in one place, choose a place for that something to live. Now, make what you have fit that space.If it doesn't, you need to reevaluate whether you need a bigger space for that category of things, or whether you need to really just eliminate some of those things and only keep what fits into your chosen space for it. 

Underwear and socks are an easy place for me to start this, My husband and I share a chest of drawers. We each have one deep drawer for such things. I find that we can easily each store a 30 day supply of underwear and socks in our individual drawer (more if I want it crammed and am creative). I don't need anymore than that. So I go through and weed out tattered, take a count and as long as I'm in the 30 day range, I don't replace. I now no longer allow us any more space for those things, than will fit in those two drawers. 

If we continue that with all categories of things we own, don't allow ourselves to make excuses and tuck things all over the house, we should get good results!

Respected Contributor

Wow, everyone is off to such a great start already this year, I am impressed and inspired!

Our family put 3 2018 calenders into the recycle bin and got out 3 for 2019. (my sons each keep one in their rooms, and I have one in the kitchen). I burned the last of a small jar candle and tossed that container.  I only have one candle left to burn up, then I will just use my wax melter, I actually like that a lot better.

Younger son and I made a brief pass thru his closet and desk, mainly just to organize because it was getting out of hand. We did find one pair of shoes and a board game to donate. Tossed a pair of shoes, an inflatable thingy from school and the usual odds and ends that we always find in his room, papers, an old school folder, etc,etc.

Honored Contributor

I didn't purge anything this week, but last week before XMAS I donated the last of my LOGO and some fleece pjs from CH that were way too hot for me to sleep in.

Trusted Contributor

Near the end of 2018, I went thru a pile of unfiled bills, etc. - either shredded or filed, not much left to do there.

In the near future, I plan to declutter my bedroom closet - several boxes of old Pricipal Secret products that need to be tossed & the storage boxes recycled.  I also need to tackle the storage in areas of our bed headboard cabinets.  I'll just start there, hopefully continue in other areas.

Respected Contributor

HI !

As I am reading through the threads, I cannot bring myself to get rid of books ! My library has 1500-2000 books and I just love them......

Now if I could read them all instead of buying more......

Yesterday my granddaughter and I went through all of the spices and now I'm down to 5 ! All the rest were expired by many YEARS. All the little things that take up space and I am not really a "holder on"....

Esteemed Contributor

so far  I'll I've tried to purge is Bad Thoughts!

here's to nice thoughts in 2019

Honored Contributor

I was happy that the Salvation Army Thrift Store donation center was open today and NO LINE.  

I was able to drop off 3 bags of clothes. 

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN