Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

An LG blush that I had been using too long. Loved it but more than time to let it go. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

A brand new sweatshirt I will never wear.

I've located some drop-off containers in local shopping area parking lots that make it easy.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I read this thread to get inspired.  In 2018 I painted my entire house and got rid of a lot of stuff at that time.  I didn't paint my closets, and they are overflowing.  I've cleaned out a lot of my clothes but need to do more.  I envy people with walk-in closets in their bedroom.  

The hall closet is ridiculous.  I am planning to tackle that this month.  It's supposed to have towels, some of the Christmas decorations, the vacuum cleaner and a few other things.  It seems to be a catch-all for everything that I don't know where else to put it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I am going through drawers in which I have tucked things. Some were used at one time but lost favor but I kept for a back up. If the drawer is too full, then it is hard to know what I have so some is being eliminated because I've bought some items only to discover them later in the back of a drawer when hunting for something else. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's too early in the day, so nothing's been purged yet.  But something will go eventually, I'm quite sure.

Valued Contributor

Yesterday I put two large boxes in my car for donation... lots of spice jars, plastic containers, lock & lock , etc and books I've finished reading.... a large box of sweatshirts/t-shirts that won't be worn again by hubbie....I did also donate a  large plastic container full of christmas things to my son .....the purging continues...

My trouble is, I'm still having problems with bringing in new stuff.... this will be my center of attention this year.... live more simply..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Years eve day-----omg-  I got rid of many still sealed jars  of body products and a jewelry sonic cleaner and bits and pieces of soaps and perfumes and shampoos all crowded into a very small bathroom----have been living there for several years----good grief!!! Have alot more to go too. bathrooms getting a re -do so all that stuff needs to go!!

Honored Contributor

I would estimate half of what needs to be purged belongs in a dumpster.

So I'll start there.

My goal for last year worked pretty well.

I don't get  much snail mail but if I don't pay attention to it in a week, it's an unbelievable stack!    So I kept up with it if not daily, at least every other day.   It does change your life.  If I put something "in a safe place" I spend more time searching for it than necessary.

So all my Medicare/Health mail & receipts just get thrown in a covered bin.   It doesn't have to be neat, I may never have to look at it again.   But it's there, in one place, when I do.   Bills I need to save go in another.    Everything else gets shredded.

That was 2018.

On to 2019.   I've set a goal to get new living room furniture, which means the LR needs to be cleaned & purged.    Easy peasy you think?    Nope.   There's a lot of furniture in there, most of it has drawers/shelves.    

Keep me focused

Respected Contributor

Consolidated cleaning product, and nail polish remover 

bottles.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday was our monthly service day with the exterminator.   With my husband sidelined from the pressure ulcer, it was my turn to unlock the basement door and lay out what I wanted done.   

Our basement will always be a work in progress, as it is the catch all for our daughters stuff.   Both are still sorting and teacher daughter still has the most to get rid of.   I easily see the next load for Union Mission.