Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Do you shop around or go with what you think works?  I need some new patio doors and I think I've found a great installer (I already know what brand of door) and DH thinks we need a second opinion.

I think we should sign a contract.  In fact, I may just do it!  The longer we fart around the longer it takes to get the work completed.

Anyway, tell me your take.  Thanks.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   I had your attitude when I replaced my patio door.  I later learned I spent a lot more money than I'd needed to spend.  Get other estimates. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

You may be right, @Kachina624 .  It's a lot of money to spend but it's also a huge detriment if its not done right!

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I would shop around or check Home Depot,Lowes or where ever you purchase the doors from. Most places have people to install these types of things as employees or an independent contractor that does the work for them. The person you choose should be a reliable person and always get a contract for the work done, if you have doubts about it always check with your Better Business Bureau. I wish you all the best in finding a contractor.

Respected Contributor

I might shop around but I am more of a person who goes with someone I know will do a great job rather than the cheapest who I know nothing about.  I have a friend who goes with the cheapest and she got a shoddy installation when she had a new roofing job done.  The roof leaked two months later, the original roofer came and supposedly fixed it.  It leaked a couple weeks later, ruined some of her hardwood floors, and again it was “fixed”.  When she sold her house the inspector showed her how the roof was done wrong and she had to discount the price to the buyer so they could have it fixed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think I tend to be like you, @itsmagic .  My house is not new and some of the origins (subfloor) could be problematic.  A few bucks spent on a great install pay off.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Having been a homeowner for almost 50 years, I've done the best with a recommendation from someone I trust. Next would be Lowe's/Home Depot. Disappointed multiple times with highly rated workers from Angie's List. Never, never again will I hire anyone from Craigslist, no matter how desperate I may be. 

Get estimates because, beyond price, you learn something new to think about with everyone you talk to. 

Valued Contributor

You know the door but do you know the work of the installer?  Any reviews from other jobs or references?  

Honored Contributor

If it is someone I trust and have used in the past, I'd accept the bid and get on the list....especialy if you are OK with the price.

I hired a landscape contractor about 1 month ago...and I hope the  job is done by fall,  

I did get two bids because I knew it was going to be expensive and I wanted to make sure I did not over pay.  The bids ended up being about $300.00 apart.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess in reality things can wait a week.  I am sorely tempted to ask for a contract, though.  It is not cheap but it is less than I expected.  DH of course thought it would be like a big trip to Costco!

He wants screens (these are patio doors) and I do not like screens.  Maybe I'll get the screens and just get the job done.

This person gets very good reviews.  I worked in the landscaping field for many years and I can usually tell a good tradesman.

Cogito ergo sum