Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

I am purging. After all the gifts from Christmas - I have no other option.

I came across a silverplated serving bowl. It was my Mom's and I will never use it.

I cleaned most of the tarnish off. But there are a few tiny spots that are still dark. Do I try other silver polish to get the dark spots clean? Or just leave it as is? I am donating it. And I don't know alot about polishing silver. Besides my Mom making me polish the silverware before special meals.

Do certain polishes damage the silver? 

be careful with silverplate, the dips can damage the plating 

That is what I was wondering. I used Tarn-x. I poured a bunch of the Tarn-x into the bowl and then cleaned the bowl. Well, the bowl now has some swipe marks on it, in addition to the tiny dark spots. I don't know if Tarn-x caused the swipe marks. And should I try another cleaner. 

Since I am donating it, I am going to leave it alone. Maybe they will know how best to handle it.

The bottom says Wm Roger Wavery 383 Silverplate. The silver looks really nice except where I messed it up cleaning it.

Esteemed Contributor

For those who don't have a full set or mix match of flatware, NM often styles what they call "hotel service".

It's a deliberate mix match of pieces at the same place setting. The idea came about from stories of guests helping themselves to a fine hotel's silver flatware during The Great Depression.

After a time, the hotels didn't have enough of one pattern so they supplemented with other patterns. I think it's a cute design idea in silverware caddys at a buffet service.

Honored Contributor

Wow the OP is donating something that was an heirloom from her mother? Really? Wow.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning Silver

[ Edited ]

I cringe when I hear of someone using Tarn-X or dips or any polish other than the more expensive brands of silver polish, which you actually have to  hand-polish to rub off tarnish from solid silver.  Getting rid of all tarnish does require some serious elbow grease, or swipe marks will show up.

I wonder if people realize, too, that whenever certain tarnish removers are used on silverplate, this rubs away some of the plated silver.  That helps explain dark spots on antique silverplate flatware, candlesticks, etc.  The silver  coating probably has worn thin after multiple cleanings.

If selling or consigning old silver items, it's usually best to preserve the value in the eyes of the purchaser by NOT removing all tarnish.  They would prefer to clean it themselves.  That's what I have found after spending years putting many pieces of  old silver into the hands of new owners who understand and value silver.