Honored Contributor

I am purging. After all the gifts from Christmas - I have no other option.

I came across a silverplated serving bowl. It was my Mom's and I will never use it.

I cleaned most of the tarnish off. But there are a few tiny spots that are still dark. Do I try other silver polish to get the dark spots clean? Or just leave it as is? I am donating it. And I don't know alot about polishing silver. Besides my Mom making me polish the silverware before special meals.

Do certain polishes damage the silver? 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  Since you are donating I would stop at it being clean leaving it at that. I respect that it is your mother's and you recognize that you don't use so you are willing to donate.  My mother left me Grand Baroque sterling service and I haven't done a thing with it....just not my style.  I need to consider how I'm going to release, thanks for the reminder since 2018 is my year for release and change.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@drizzellla  Since you are donating I would stop at it being clean leaving it at that. I respect that it is your mother's and you recognize that you don't use so you are willing to donate.  My mother left me Grand Baroque sterling service and I haven't done a thing with it....just not my style.  I need to consider how I'm going to release, thanks for the reminder since 2018 is my year for release and change.

OMG, how to release Grand Baroque? It's the most sought after pattern, probably surpassing Michaelangelo.

If you need to let it go, I truly understand. Let it grace someone else's table.

Release it on the bay and pocket the proceeds. 

Esteemed Contributor

Best cleaner for silver and silver plate: Bio Cleaner. V33262

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning Silver

[ Edited ]

Wow! I just looked up a Grand Baroque set on eBay and it's gorgeous! I love it. I never considered having a sterling silver set but this is out of this world. I would definitely reconsider letting it go. I find that sometimes we don't tend to appreciate the things we already have. 

From my eyes, that set not only absolutely beautiful but well made. It's on my short list of things to acquire once I have a new home. It's pricey but it's one of a kind. They don't make things the way they used to. A 32 pc 8 place setting estate set is $1,249 on the bay. 

I use the baking soda, water and aluminum foil trick to clean silver. White vinegar is also used but I never have. The water is heated almost to boiling and placed in a container large enough to cover the items. You add the aluminum foil and slowly place the baking soda on top. Add the items you wish to clean. In a couple minutes, the chemical reaction will transfer the tarnish from the silver to the foil. You need to make sure the items to be cleaned touch the foil. 

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd: I just looked up the pattern. Gorgeous! And Valuable. Full set of 12 plus storage box: over $14,000.00 at NM!! Very ornate; clearly not everyone's style or decor, but...

Maybe you can look into selling it to replacements.com? Or now that you know the retail value, you might like it better? 

Not sure who really buys sterling flatware anymore. Got my place settings as wedding gifts from in-laws friends over 30 years ago, I really only use it on Christmas Eve and maybe one other meal per year.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning Silver

[ Edited ]

@queendiva  Thanks for your research.  I've always been aware of the value.  My father bought it for my mother early on in their marriage.  It brings back childhood memories, so I've kept for sentimental reasons but really not my style.  I'm dedicated to downsizing so maybe I'll check out Replacements, but most likely it will continue to sit.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  

Honored Contributor

If you are donating it, I would leave it as is and tell myself it's as clean as it's going to get.

It's been my experience with silverplate that after a while it just doesn't come clean or shine anymore and takes on a gray hue.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I have 6 place setting of that that were my mother in law's as well as 12 of my pattern.   

when I got married I picked something simpler and now I like the GB but I mix them together.    You should try to sell it 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I am purging. After all the gifts from Christmas - I have no other option.

I came across a silverplated serving bowl. It was my Mom's and I will never use it.

I cleaned most of the tarnish off. But there are a few tiny spots that are still dark. Do I try other silver polish to get the dark spots clean? Or just leave it as is? I am donating it. And I don't know alot about polishing silver. Besides my Mom making me polish the silverware before special meals.

Do certain polishes damage the silver? 

be careful with silverplate, the dips can damage the plating