Respected Contributor

@cw88 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@NickNack   I cleaned out the master bath cabinets and drawers, and had an enormous plastic bag loaded, old pills I just flushed.

@mousiegirl  Oh, for next time, please don't flush medications. Dispose of them in the trash securely instead. Wastewater treatment plants can't treat for various medications and it goes right through to the waterbody where it can affect fish and other organisms. Even if you're on a septic tank system, it's not good for that stuff to be in the groundwater, either. Thanks--

Old or no longer needed meds ( pills, powders, syrups ) should not be flushed nor put into landfills.  CVS pharmacy area has a container for disposing of these items. You can deposit items but it is locked to prevent retrieval.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it amazing what we accumulate! I had my garbage disposal replaced a couple of months ago, so was forced to deal with the cabinet under the sink....good grief. I couldn't believe all of the stuff I pulled out! I threw half of it out, stored what I can probably use at some point in the garage and kept just what I need under the sink. I replaced the shelf liner (after probably 7 or 8 years), washed the 2 storage containers and decided I need to be more diligent going forward! LOL!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Isn't it amazing what we accumulate! I had my garbage disposal replaced a couple of months ago, so was forced to deal with the cabinet under the sink....good grief. I couldn't believe all of the stuff I pulled out! I threw half of it out, stored what I can probably use at some point in the garage and kept just what I need under the sink. I replaced the shelf liner (after probably 7 or 8 years), washed the 2 storage containers and decided I need to be more diligent going forward! LOL!

@jannabelle1   I will clean out my kitchen cabinet next.  I dread it.  I have a feeling it will be worse than the bathroom cabinet I did today.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I just cleaned out bathroom cabinet and disposed of 18 items.  Funny, but I still don't have much room.  Things must have been jam packed in there! Expired meds went to CVS medicine disposal container.  Our Walgren's also has a medicine disposal container as do other drug stores in our area.  Easy to safely dispose of.

Honored Contributor

I try to clean out and go through stuff under the kitchen sink and on the bottom floor in the bathroom closet a couple times a year. Interesting things also collect in the garage. My sister and I take things that can’t be safely diluted or thrown away to our hazardous waste disposal center. 

Honored Contributor

There was a septic tutorial on TV last week.  They said even septic tank users should not flush medications, They will gradually get into the ground water.  That's where the wells draw from.  So living in the country doesn't excuse us. 

Honored Contributor

I really don't understand where a lot of the stuff in my under sink cabinets comes from. 

I completely empty and wash out and throw away unused things under my sinks in the kitchen and bathrooms at least twice a year. 

Yet somehow I find things every time, that I know I haven't used in years, or never used. 

I think when I go to bed the night that I clean them out, the stuff walks out of the trash and crawls back in the cabinets. 

There simply is no other explanation! LOL