Respected Contributor

Top Coat on Dining room table

My table was sanded down and stained but I'm struggling with what top coat to go with, I want it to last no matter how much I wipe it down and clean it. Been to a nearby paint store and Lowes and they both gave totally diff. options.

So, has anyone stained their dining table and put a top coat on it? If so, what top coat did you go with?

TIA for your time!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Top Coat on Dining room table

I sanded, stained redid a whole DR set.  I used Minwax Polyurethane. It turned out beautiful and has held up well.  My daughter now has the set.

I also painted a bathroom vanity and used the same poly on it.  It has been years and the vanity that is used daily still looks great.

Super Contributor

@SandGirl  I have recently gotten into painting my bathrooms and laundry room cabinets with chalk paint.  The brand I use has a top coat called "Gator Hide", and I swear after letting that stuff dry that nothing will harm your furniture!  It would certainly be worth a phone call to the company to ask if their product is appropriate for use on a stained piece of furniture.  The company is called Dixie Belle Paint and is located in Florida. 

Respected Contributor

@Deb665 wrote:

@SandGirl  I have recently gotten into painting my bathrooms and laundry room cabinets with chalk paint.  The brand I use has a top coat called "Gator Hide", and I swear after letting that stuff dry that nothing will harm your furniture!  It would certainly be worth a phone call to the company to ask if their product is appropriate for use on a stained piece of furniture.  The company is called Dixie Belle Paint and is located in Florida. 

Thank you!!! I will for sure look this up, sounds amazing  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I sanded, stained redid a whole DR set.  I used Minwax Polyurethane. It turned out beautiful and has held up well.  My daughter now has the set.

I also painted a bathroom vanity and used the same poly on it.  It has been years and the vanity that is used daily still looks great.

@Carmie   Thank you, I will look up the Minwax Poly. Thank you for taking time to reply so I can research, appreciate it!!

Esteemed Contributor

When I was about six, I remember learning to sew with my mother's machine on the kitchen table.  At some point an unfinished picnc, plank table had moved in and never left.  It was handy for kids but hard to evict.

Years later my dad used to joke it had the finest hand rubbed, milk finish in the world ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Minwax Poly. You can get it in different finishes like high gloss or satin which is a more matte finish. I'd recommend can and brush for a tabletop. They do make it in a spray can as well.

I refinished a dropleaf set in Alder wood and gave it to DS. It's held up well.