Honored Contributor

I have flexible track lighting in my kitchen.  It's not as bad as regular track lighting, but I do think it's out of style.  I am thinking about having it removed, having the holes patched, and putting in recessed lighting.  I would probably have to have about six recessed lights put in.  I'm wondering how expensive this would be.

I'm getting ready to paint my house, and because of the tint on my ceiling will probably have to paint it, too.  I thought this would be a good time to change out the lighting.  It sounds like a big project though, and the painting will also be a big project.  Has anyone removed a light fixture like this?  Was it as bad as I think it will be?

This is a picture of what flexible track lighting looks like.  You can shape it however you want it to be.  At the time I had it installed, which was about 14 years ago, it was very popular.

fullsizeoutput_168.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Changing Kitchen Lighting

Great modern fresh idea for new - those are dated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

Just had all the track lighting in my kitchen removed.  Best thing I ever did!!!  That track lighting was making me crazy I never had any light just shadows in my kitchen.

I have a very small textured popcorn ceiling and I was concerned the ceilings were damaged BUT in reality there were only 2 = 2" diameter holes drilled to hang the anchors and I electrical box.

The electrician just filled those holes with spackle and used a plate cover for the empty box.  My painting contractor put a texture spray over those areas before he painted the ceilings.

I thought I was having a ephiphany when the electrician turned onthe lighting in my kitchen for the first time ... it was so bright and wonderful!!!  (I will warn you after having crappy track lighting I could see the dust now! lol) I had a dimmer switch installed so I could control the brightness.

before:

IMG_9146.JPG

after:

IMG_9156.JPG

IMG_9162.JPG

(See those 2 dark "holes" this where the track lighting was bolted in and the white cover above the door)

My recommendation would be to have a licensed electrician do it because it entails cutting the ceiling, and exactly doing the locations.  It was a big expense but I love it!  I can see in my kitchen which I enjoy.

They just finished the floor and tomorrow painters...its our new motto "One thing leads to another!" ...

Honored Contributor

Your kitchen lighting looks great @homedecor1!  That's exactly what I want to do.  Thank you for posting your pictures.  

Yes, I will have a licensed electrician do it.  I really don't want the expense of doing that and painting both, but it seems like if I'm having to paint the ceiling that now is the time to change the lighting.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

our ceilings were never done in the house we bought & I knew if we didn't do them it would definitely "look dirty" with the walls being painted.  I've been in houses where you can definitely see how dirty the ceilings are if they painted.  

The painter sprayed them I think the prep of covering and putting up plastic took longer than the painting!

Respected Contributor

It wasn't my kitchen lighting but my upper and lower hallways that we removed the old dome ones and put in recessed lighting....LED kind.  The old domes were dark metal and frosted in lighting.  I wanted a more cleaner look.  Highly recommend the LED recessed lighting.  We also had to paint two ceiling in the hallways.  Cost was just under $2,000 but that also included changing out master bedroom light and painting that ceiling as well.  We put 10 recessed lights in the hallways.

Honored Contributor

We have hanging pendant lighting in our kitchen and we too want to replace it with recessed lighting.  Planning on going to Home Depot and having one of their electricians do the work.  Things are never as simple as they seem!

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, I have recessed lighting over all my work surfaces in the kitchen and I love them.  No pendants for me.  I have a dimmer light switch for the fixture over the kitchen table and chairs and I love that too.  

Good luck with with your project.  I bet you will love it when you’re done!  LM

Honored Contributor

I've decided to take the chandelier out of my bedroom, too.  It has a medallion that the painters would have to paint around.  I'm getting tired of it and don't want to take it down later and have to paint in the space where the medallion was.  I will put a ceiling fan up like there used to be.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I had recessed lighting installed in the kitchen when it was remodeled three years ago, and it is wonderful.  Also, someone kept pressuring me to have two lamps hanging down over the sink, and more over the island, I refused both.  There is plenty of light over the sink with the recessed, and I have a fan with light over the island in addition to the light from the range top, and the recessed in that area. so I have more than enough.  the thought of cleaning and changing bulbs in those hanging lights turned me off completely, lol.

I would like to have recessed lighting in the living room, main hall, entry hall, and master bedroom, but may only get a few of those areas done as it is not inexpensive.