Honored Contributor

As many may know, my kitchen remodel went from 8 weeks out, to just two weeks out, so I've been moving!

Today, we got the ceiling painted in both the kitchen and dining area. It was embarrassing just how dirty it was, and I insisted on two quotes, because I simply hate to tear up and paint. Hoping it lasts for many years!

Wallpaper stripped, and walls washed down, had a lot of trouble with the glue where we had to reattach many seams. I swear that stuff consisted of air plane glue and Satan's spit. It has taken me a week to get it all down. 

And I found a world of issues with some of the drywall behind some of it. I had forgotten we tore off a horrible backsplash and papered over that area, and because the backsplash was glued on, the wall is now rather compromised to just paint over. I will have the contractor look at it when they start the job, and suspect will just replace the drywall.

Had issues with the soffit as well. It was wallpapered and the underneath of it, where the lights are, was textured to match the ceiling, and in taking the paper off, much of that decorative swirl pattern is crumbling. I believe that will need to be replaced too. 

So tomorrow, I intend to primer the dining room and maybe part of the kitchen, and hope by Wednesday, to have the walls painted, with trim done by the weekend. 

The contractor is due to be here by next Monday, and I'd like to have the dining room completely done by then, and since there are issue with much of the kitchen drywall, I doubt I will be able to go much further there for now.

Respected Contributor

I'll bet you are exhausted! Just remember - someday this will all be over.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio  - Whew!  You are doing SO much work!  I also had a couple of ceilings painted earlier this year, and wow, what a difference.  I also scraped wallpaper (it was only a border, thank God) but I know what you mean about the glue.  My house was built in 1972, so I can relate to your stories about what lies beneath the first layer of things. I don't think I've ever had anything done, that something had to be added to the scope of the job.  Hang in there, it will be so worth it when you are done.  

Esteemed Contributor

Your hard work now will pay off beautifully in the end. Keep us updated. ❤️

Honored Contributor

You're on your way!!  Woo hoo!!

Honored Contributor

House work, home re-do's, DIYs - you get to a point where you've said "I'm done, call in the hired help".

We bought/moved into DH's g'parents' house July 1985. That winter we literally barricaded ourselves downstairs from up while we spent 6 months scraping old wallpaper from walls AND ceilings living, dining, front hallway just inside the front door, up the L stairway and hall up there. Very old plastered lath boards underneath, some came off with the wallpaper!!!  After paper removed, it was sanding every square inch, patching wall cracks, replacing a few walls with drywall, more sanding until butter smooth. Finally it was all prepped for painting, back then walls one color, ceilings another. Years later as I chose to change colors, both ceiling & walls are the same color, much easier.

It was winter that year when we began phase 1 of this work, it was March when we finished this. Shortly after, we moved into phase 2 which was all the same work in the three bedrooms. Among this was ripping up an entire house of wall to wall carpeting.

House work like this is an amazing feat when we do it ourselves. We're now old but still do our own painting at least. We've changed colors living, dining, hallway a few times since the first.

Dining room is calling our name again to repair a wall from a century old settled house and yeah, you guessed it, paint again.

I hate housework anymore. I'm old (66) and am da*n itred of it. Calgon take me away....

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio said "And I found a world of issues with some of the drywall behind some of it. I had forgotten we tore off a horrible backsplash and papered over that area, and because the backsplash was glued on, the wall is now rather compromised to just paint over. I will have the contractor look at it when they start the job, and suspect will just replace the drywall."

We had the contractors who replaced our kitchen countertop tear off the backsplash. Realized afterwards it was a mistake and all of the nasty glue prevented it from being painted. Ended up getting subway tile applied as we didn't want to replace the drywall. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio Busy! Making progress.

It's inevitable on such a large remodel that you will find additinal things to add to the contractor's list- that's why they always say to add 20% to the bottom line, which in my experience seems accurate.

Carry on!

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful space when you're finished!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

And.... She’s....OFF!   You have been busy.

When we built I had to have wallpaper in the bathrooms, three years ago it was time for a change.  Unknown to me, hangers glued the paper on the drywall w/o primer.  I know the paste you’re speaking of!  I tried to take it off,  Huge chunks of drywall came off with the paper, everything had to be re-plastered.

Could you (if you have a moment)  re-post your final selection of tile, etc? Want to enjoy the progress along with you.

It will be great, enjoy the ride!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras