Honored Contributor

You've been busy!!  

We did a mini update in our kitchen 2 years ago...taking off paper, and needing to fix a few spots, then painting...it's a lot of work, and your project is huge compared to what we did.  You'll be thrilled once it is all done!

Honored Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

@Mominohio said "And I found a world of issues with some of the drywall behind some of it. I had forgotten we tore off a horrible backsplash and papered over that area, and because the backsplash was glued on, the wall is now rather compromised to just paint over. I will have the contractor look at it when they start the job, and suspect will just replace the drywall."

We had the contractors who replaced our kitchen countertop tear off the backsplash. Realized afterwards it was a mistake and all of the nasty glue prevented it from being painted. Ended up getting subway tile applied as we didn't want to replace the drywall. 

@CinNC 

As soon as I found it, I called the contractor and asked which would be cheaper, to replace the drywall or to put in a backsplash, and he thought it would be cheaper to replace the drywall, and we'll see when they start the job and he looks at it for sure. 

I had decided I didn't want a backsplash, as they are so trendy, in my opinion, and look dated in such a short time, regardless of they style. So I wasn't happy to find this issue. 

I guess the final decision will be made after he takes an in person look!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio : It all depends on your kitchen and your choices, but the backsplash tile in my kitchen is a focal point! Did you have a backsplash or wallpaper in that area before? My backsplash is limited to one 6-foot area behind and around the stove.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you've done a lot @Mominohio. I've taken wallpaper down and it's not easy. I feel your pain. I've also done a total reno including drywall in several rooms. I didn't do the drywall, my husband and a guy we hired did. Thanks for the update. I know it's a lot of work.

Honored Contributor

After the last ceiling I painted, about 7 years ago, I said that was it and I was hiring painters next time.  And I did.

Having them paint the insides of all of my closets was the best.  You don't realize how bad they are until you empty them all out and turn the lights on.  They used Benjamin Moore Decorators White to give it the brightest white

The first time I painted my house myself was when it was first built and the builder didn't prime any of the walls or ceilings, they just used the watered down spray paint.  I had to make sure that when I had my house painted last Fall that they primed some of the walls ceilings I never painted.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Mominohio : It all depends on your kitchen and your choices, but the backsplash tile in my kitchen is a focal point! Did you have a backsplash or wallpaper in that area before? My backsplash is limited to one 6-foot area behind and around the stove.

@queendiva 

I did not have a backsplash before, I had that area papered in the past.

I'm working on getting pattern out of many of my rooms, and most backsplashes create a pattern, even if solid colors, just with the tile effect. I used to 'know' exactly the backsplash I was going to use, and over the years, I've lost my love for it! LOL 

I'm going to look at them, on the off chance we can't fix the drywall for cheap, and consider doing one anyway, but at this point, I have to say I've not seen anything I'm excited about. I've seen a lot that would work, and look good with the other components of the kitchen for sure, just not that excites me! 

Honored Contributor

Got as much of the walls done with primer today as I can. Some areas I think may be torn out, so I didn't bother with them.

I had chosen four paint colors to test, and three were too dark to suit me, right off the bat. The fourth one I really like, and it looks great with everything........I'm just afraid done on the larger scale of the entire room, might be just a little too dark.....I'm really big on wanting bright rooms with lots of light. I pretty much have only ever painted my walls some form of white (ish), and done wallpaper. The only time I stepped out and did what I thought would be a light yellow bathroom, it turned out horribly and I hated it. So I'm obsessed with getting this wall color right, and I have almost zero experience choosing color on walls! LOL

I'm disappointed tonight, and will be back off to Home Depot tomorrow morning to see what I can find slightly lighter.